Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

M40 q64 dn524

Article about: Good evening all, I recently got this helmet at an auction (I participated over the phone) and today it arrived. It was painted in a weird blue color and had a bad quality fake Polizei eagle

Default M40 q64 dn524

Good evening all,
    I recently got this helmet at an auction (I participated over the phone)
    and today it arrived.
    It was painted in a weird blue color and had a bad quality fake Polizei eagle and some fantasy decal on it.
    I removed all that with acetone and am now left with what you can see here.
    Overall I'm very happy with it, even if it may have been messed with.
    What's also cool is that it has almost the same lot number as my other Q M40, that one is DN522 and this one is DN524, both also have the same liner in them, but the DN522 has a dome stamp whereas the DN524 does not.
    Split pins have an unusual maker mark "HMM" or something like that and are not played with.
    Overall this helmet is still in amazing condition.

I'd like to know what you lot think of it

Luis
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture M40 q64 dn524   M40 q64 dn524  

M40 q64 dn524   M40 q64 dn524  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement M40 q64 dn524
    P
    Many

I think it's freakin' cool!

Some teens buy video games, some teens hang out with girls, some teens look at old cars... teens on this forum buy German helmets.

?

Hi,
    Do you know what that "fantasy" decal is supposed to be?

One quick question, did you remove the liner prior to using the acetone?

Quote by Narcis View Post
    Hi,
    Do you know what that "fantasy" decal is supposed to be?
    Hi, the auction house stated it was from the Feuerlöschpolizei Danzig.. for whatever it's worth.
    Luis

Quote by RustyRelics View Post
    One quick question, did you remove the liner prior to using the acetone?
    No, on this occasion I did not remove the liner.
    There was (and still is in some small areas) paint on the leather since they did a bad job taping it off when they sprayed it.
    But just so you know, acetone won't attack leather, I've even been told by one guy who got a bunch of messed with Norway reissues that he submerged the leather pieces in acetone to get rid of the brown dye and it worked well.
    Though I haven't tried that yet, just taking a rag and soaking it in acetone and then wiping over the leather.
    I pretty much did the same thing for the entire helmet, in tight corners and other areas where you can't get to as easily (beneath and around split pins) I used a toothbrush to remove any leftover blue paint which worked well ( if I had tried wiping that area more I would've ruined the original textured paint)
    Luis

Quote by PotatoDigger View Post
    No, on this occasion I did not remove the liner.
    There was (and still is in some small areas) paint on the leather since they did a bad job taping it off when they sprayed it.
    But just so you know, acetone won't attack leather, I've even been told by one guy who got a bunch of messed with Norway reissues that he submerged the leather pieces in acetone to get rid of the brown dye and it worked well.
    Though I haven't tried that yet, just taking a rag and soaking it in acetone and then wiping over the leather.
    I pretty much did the same thing for the entire helmet, in tight corners and other areas where you can't get to as easily (beneath and around split pins) I used a toothbrush to remove any leftover blue paint which worked well ( if I had tried wiping that area more I would've ruined the original textured paint)
    Luis
    Thanks, I'll keep that in mind.

Really nice work, love it! Probably wouldnt even notice it was cleaned in the first place if you wouldnt tell me!

Also I might add that this helmet was probably unissued by the looks of it (minimal wear on the paint and leather parts) hence it still looks so new after having been cleaned.
    I don't think it'd exhibit a whole lot more patina even if it had not been painted over.
    Here's also a picture with its twin DN522 Q64 that received a whitewash that was removed probably in the spring of '45, so that one was definitely issued albeit not for long.
    Luis
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture M40 q64 dn524  

Well Mr Potato you know how I feel about the “messed withs“ haha BUT I will say It’s a very nice effort on your new helmet and congrats my friend. It’s Very cool that you have his brother as well Luis
    Z

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast