Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

M40 SD dark overpaint

Article about: Hey guys I have been looking at this helmet and I like the battle worn look to it and that dark overpaint looks very nice and loos like it was stored in poor conditions but as the seller poi

Default M40 SD dark overpaint

Hey guys I have been looking at this helmet and I like the battle worn look to it and that dark overpaint looks very nice and loos like it was stored in poor conditions but as the seller points out it does have a luftschutz chinstrap so I wanted to make sure this was not a helmet re purposed after the war. thank yall! Also this makers mark and lot number are nearly impossible to see.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture M40  SD dark overpaint   M40  SD dark overpaint  

M40  SD dark overpaint   M40  SD dark overpaint  

M40  SD dark overpaint  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement M40  SD dark overpaint
    P
    Many

looks like a wartime helmet to me, sometimes you can find interesting chinstrap modifications on helmets.

Thank you Schwerpunct I decided to get it and I’m thinking of when I get it taking a damp rag and trying to gently wipe where the makers mark is and the lot number and see if they become visible.

Your decision after all, i wouldnt do it. If it works you will have a few cleaned spots, that would stand out against the dirt/patina. You could be abel to see the marks just by holding it at the right angle against the light, worked for me a few times.

Okay I’ll try doing that then Adravor. I guess it would look goofy with two cleaned spots lol because I’m definitely not going to clean the whole helmet.

Edit: I read that back and I didn’t mean that as a sarcastic comment. Didn’t want anyone to think it was
    Last edited by Giants77; 06-07-2020 at 05:21 PM.

Like the character of this helmet.

I had a question about black overpainted helmets, so I was was going to trade this helmet for another M40 and the helmet dealer said that Most black overpaints are Czech Re-issues is there a way to tell for sure or no?

To be honest , I do not see black paint on this helmet. Is it just me perhaps.
    And no not all black overpaints are post war.

?

Quote by Giants77 View Post
    Thank you Schwerpunct I decided to get it and I’m thinking of when I get it taking a damp rag and trying to gently wipe where the makers mark is and the lot number and see if they become visible.
    Take some macro photos with reflected light at several different angles, sunlight and and/or artificial light with typically reveal details.

Congratulations Giants, I looked at this one too a while back. It’s nice helmet with some great character. I’d say a dark overpaint that has turned a bit darker over the years with patina. I wouldn’t worry too much about the size as you probably have enough helmets in your collection to compare sizes with or you will later on.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast