Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

M40 SD Heer - EF62(?)

Article about: Picked this up from Chris Jones about 20 years ago, clearly a battle worn single decal M40 Heer complete with slightly damaged liner and shortened chin strap. The left chin strap bale is gon

Default M40 SD Heer - EF62(?)

Picked this up from Chris Jones about 20 years ago, clearly a battle worn single decal M40 Heer complete with slightly damaged liner and shortened chin strap. The left chin strap bale is gone and there is some apparent damage to the small aluminum rivets that hold the leather to the band in that area which suggests to me that the helmet was forcefully torn away from a mooring to which the strap was attached. It may have been torn from the head of the wearer by an exploding shell??? Anyway, the liner is a size 55 so it is a size 62 shell but the maker/size stamp can’t be made out. The lot number is 31458. I believe that it is actually an EF shell based upon the way the lot number was stamped into the apron. There are the faint remnants of a dome stamp but I can’t make it out. The decal is fairly intact. A decent example in my humble opinion. Hope you like it. Jim G.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture M40 SD Heer - EF62(?)   M40 SD Heer - EF62(?)  

M40 SD Heer - EF62(?)   M40 SD Heer - EF62(?)  

M40 SD Heer - EF62(?)  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement M40 SD Heer - EF62(?)
    P
    Many

More pictures.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture M40 SD Heer - EF62(?)   M40 SD Heer - EF62(?)  

Nice no nonsense helmet, beautiful in its simplicity.
    Nick

Great helmet Jim, nice decal and interesting damage to the liner.
    Luis

A real veteran this helmet is Jim, a one looker for definite. Thank you for sharing it with us,
    Kindest Regards,
    Harvey

The quintessential battle used M40 with lots if nice patina and wear. I really like the way the light shines on that beautiful Heer decal too!

Thanks for showing Jim.

Andy

A real artefact of WW2
    I like it
    It is simple but in good shape
    Is the linerband made from Aluminium or steel?
    Thanks for sharing
    BR
    Bavarian

Hi BR, The liner band is steel and the remaining chin strap bale is rounded. Jim G.

Thanks
    if the liner tape were made of aluminum, I would have understood how it was torn out, but steel
    someone must have pulled it extremely
    Best regards
    Bavarian

TWS
    ?

Nice solid example. I like it.

Soldiers hung their helmets in all kinds of ways on or in vehicles, but often on the exterior. Contact with an overhanging tree branch or other "hazards" could have yanked the helmet from its mooring and caused that damage. We helmet collectors always try to imagine the most dramatic scenario (Dark stain in the liner? MUST be blood!!!! See that one all the time.) but it's usually something more prosaic, including post-war play by children.
    Todd
    Former U.S. Army Tanker.
    "Best job I ever had."

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast