Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

M40 Strange Camo for opinions

Article about: Hello everybody I have a wonky camo for review I would like to know everybody’s opinions as I’m thinking of buying thanks everybody!

There were certainly some weird variations being seen by 1944. But one question that arises is why not overpaint the decal? Leaving the decal uncovered does somewhat go against the point of camouflage. But that did occur with whitewash camos in 1941/42. By 1943/44 the decals were getting covered.

A spotty example Normandy 1944.

M40 Strange Camo for opinionsM40 Strange Camo for opinions

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement M40 Strange Camo for opinions
    P
    Many

Not to sure with these unusual Camo's ... I'm no Artist but give me an old M40 and I'd create a design as good as the one's above. Like Andy M35 said ... There are loads more of these appearing of late, who's to know what lurks under that paint??
    As for being 100% positive .... Who's going to judge it.

Just my whinge .. for what it's worth.

Quote by Stevade View Post
    Not to sure with these unusual Camo's ... I'm no Artist but give me an old M40 and I'd create a design as good as the one's above. Like Andy M35 said ... There are loads more of these appearing of late, who's to know what lurks under that paint??
    As for being 100% positive .... Who's going to judge it.

Just my whinge .. for what it's worth.
    And at $2,750... its a lot to pay if it later turns out to be wrong...

Quote by HARRY THE MOLE View Post
    And at $2,750... its a lot to pay if it later turns out to be wrong...

I know camo helmets are expensive - but i think that is a lot to ask for this.

TWS
    ?

Quote by AndyM35 View Post

Its' quite pretty to look at and it seems that there are more and more of these types of camos appearing of late.
    Quote by MAP View Post

Multiple "wonky" patterns appearing at the same time always gives me pause given the very high level of some fakes out there.
    Quote by AndyM35 View Post
    The one I was referring to was a thread full of examples of fake camos. It had blue splotches from memory and the same black swirls.
    Quote by HoundsTooth View Post
    A very unusual camo - however, from period photos it can be seen that there were strange camo's such as this.
    But you need to be 100% before parting with your cash.

I saw the camo that Ratisbons had for sale - even more unusual.

As i would not be sure on either of these two, personally i would pass.

Nick
    Lately "pretty" or "artful" camos have become very popular. Therefore the supply has risen to meet this demand. How does that happen?

I'm with Nick. While we do find a few period photographs that would seem to confirm that such "fancy" camos existed, based on these photos alone neither of the pictured camos here would be for me.
    Todd
    Former U.S. Army Tanker.
    "Best job I ever had."

MAP
    ?

We can say the same about medic, chicken wire, Normandy ,etc. Etc. The fake market will always follow demand. But just because something is different (wonky) does not mean it is fake.

I say, judge the helmet not the pattern.

Camos are all about perception and opinion as there is no textbook to compare. But what I would like to hear is what people like or don't like about this (beyond the pattern).

I'm happy to be proven wrong, but I haven't heard reasons why (again, beyond the pattern)
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

The biggest stumbling block for this helmet (in my opinion) is the price. The paintwork cannot be proven to be period applied, and the pattern of the camouflage is quite different too - which may cause some collectors to doubt its authenticity. To purchase this at such a price would be a giant leap of faith, which other collectors may not be prepared to take when the time comes for it to be sold on.

Personally I like this one. Close ups looks very good.

the ratisbon one , I can smell the paint from here.

MAP
    ?

Quote by Schwerpunkt View Post
    Personally I like this one. Close ups looks very good.

the ratisbon one , I can smell the paint from here.
    Thanks Frank. I'm in agreement in both counts.

I can not find any red flags in this. But would love to hear if there are any that I missed (beyond price and pattern)

The focus on pattern is for me a non issue other than that people shy away from them and thus making it harder to sell. And price, while valid is what the market will bear.

P.S. I respect all views aired so far
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

M38
    ?

I have not seen this helmet in hand but I like it. I also generally trust the dealer who has it for sale, a very knowledgeable person. You might say I am prejudiced in favor of this one however as I am the one he refers to in his ad who has one just like it. And admittedly I like mine and believe it to be all original.

Cheers,
    Terry

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast