Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

M40 Tropical Camo - Single Decal Heer - Q64 - Lot# DN15(?)8

Article about: I have had this one for decades - off of the paper lists mailed out by Billy Shea BEFORE the advent of the internet! Yep - prehistoric times - I am a dinosaur! This one is just a simple been

Default M40 Tropical Camo - Single Decal Heer - Q64 - Lot# DN15(?)8

I have had this one for decades - off of the paper lists mailed out by Billy Shea BEFORE the advent of the internet! Yep - prehistoric times - I am a dinosaur! This one is just a simple been there single decal one color tropical camo. DAK? Who knows - but it is a 1000% one second/one look from across the street correct camouflage helmet in this era of fakes. It is an ear stamped Q64 shell. The lot number is hard to make out - looks to be DN15(?)8. No chin strap and the leather in the liner is dry and cracked but mostly there. A decent helmet in my opinion and one of my first camo’s so I have a soft spot for it. Hope you like it, Jim G.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture M40 Tropical Camo - Single Decal Heer - Q64 - Lot# DN15(?)8   M40 Tropical Camo - Single Decal Heer - Q64 - Lot# DN15(?)8  

M40 Tropical Camo - Single Decal Heer - Q64 - Lot# DN15(?)8   M40 Tropical Camo - Single Decal Heer - Q64 - Lot# DN15(?)8  

M40 Tropical Camo - Single Decal Heer - Q64 - Lot# DN15(?)8   M40 Tropical Camo - Single Decal Heer - Q64 - Lot# DN15(?)8  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement M40 Tropical Camo - Single Decal Heer - Q64 - Lot# DN15(?)8
    P
    Many

Interior pics
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture M40 Tropical Camo - Single Decal Heer - Q64 - Lot# DN15(?)8   M40 Tropical Camo - Single Decal Heer - Q64 - Lot# DN15(?)8  

Very nice Jim. Shame someone went decal hunting but interesting in that the Heer decal appears to have been removed in the field pre-camo with only a tiny bit of wing remaining. This one has obviously seen some action. Thanks for showing.

Andy

I don't think the decal was uncovered, it looks to me as if the paint flaked off.

M38
    ?

An honest example of my favorite kind of camo. I like it Jim. I also agree, the paint just flaked off the decal rather than being dug out.

Cheers,
    Terry

Jim and Terry I agree about the paint over the decal. Perhaps a reaction? Do you think the Heer decal was removed prior to the camo?

Andy

I like it Jim. I rather suspect the odd flaking over the decals is as Andy suggestions a reaction to the paint concoction. We know especially in North Africa, helmet paint was sourced from a mixture of Axis and Allied captured paint and frequently thinned with gasoline rather than more suitable paint thinners. Premature flaking seems to be one of the outcomes seen.

?

I would say not DAK. More Italy especially with those Green splodges and it being an m40. Not sure what’s happened to the decal area, did it flake the decal off as well ? . Why is the liner puffy around the top ? One second one look I’m still
    Looking at it . Rob

As some leather dries out it can shrink around the perimeter and gravity also helps it sag down and all this results in that effect of "puffiness"
    " I'm putting off procrastination until next week "