Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

M40 Unique Wired Hemet-Wired visor

Article about: A few doozies have come up on the other forum. Simply just looking for any info on this one. Seeing if anyone has opinions on what appears to be some sort of wire visor. Is this a fantasy se

Default M40 Unique Wired Hemet-Wired visor

A few doozies have come up on the other forum. Simply just looking for any info on this one. Seeing if anyone has opinions on what appears to be some sort of wire visor. Is this a fantasy set up someone created years ago? Was it common for Forward Observer positions? whats its purpose? Is it even genuine?
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture M40 Unique Wired Hemet-Wired visor   M40 Unique Wired Hemet-Wired visor  

M40 Unique Wired Hemet-Wired visor   M40 Unique Wired Hemet-Wired visor  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement M40 Unique Wired Hemet-Wired visor
    P
    Many

I can not comment if it is a real wired camo but I will say I have never seen this look before but I do like the concept. I see wear under the rim and one of the wires(decal side) is in a different place than the wear mark on the rim, I wonder if it was moved back would the wear to the decal match the wire? Of course my track record with camo is bad and may have wasted everyone's time with this post.
    I guess I did comment on the camo.....
    Marty
    Last edited by Tank Destroyer; 02-20-2018 at 12:50 AM.
    Fortune favors the brave 644th td

Anyones guess for originality. Really impossible to say yes or no without provenance. Some of these wires I have observed, I find hard to believe a GI would stuff these into a duffel bag to bring home. I am sure there were many other means of obtaining a helmet in 1945 than a GI bringhome...but most here in the states, that's how surviving examples were obtained.

Quote by real steel View Post
    Anyones guess for originality. Really impossible to say yes or no without provenance. Some of these wires I have observed, I find hard to believe a GI would stuff these into a duffel bag to bring home. I am sure there were many other means of obtaining a helmet in 1945 than a GI bringhome...but most here in the states, that's how surviving examples were obtained.
    Exactly my thoughts too , GI's often pulled the wire off even. If not immediately for sure in later years.
    I don't believe in this contraption.

MAP
    ?

Photos are just a bit too blurry and not focusing on key elements or angles so you really can't get a good close up view....coincidence?

In the few areas where the wire is touching the helmet I see no wear or interaction. With a contraption like this I would expect it to be jostled around quite a bit and thus significant signs of wire to helmet wear/abrasion.

But I stay away from wires so my knowledge is limited.
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

I do not believe that the chicken wire is correct for the period that is supposed to represent.

Mart

I can't imagine a combat soldier creating this configuration which would make the helmet quite unwieldy in the field. In my opinion a fantasy piece. Jim G.

MAP
    ?

Quote by helmet2id View Post
    I can't imagine a combat soldier creating this configuration which would make the helmet quite unwieldy in the field. In my opinion a fantasy piece. Jim G.
    Actually Jim. I completely disagree with you.

This is a known DAK "Speckkocher" style wire pattern

Used by soldiers who were not able to get to the rear to eat their bacon and eggs for breakfast. All they did was put a few slices of bacon and eggs (on some tinfoil of course) on the grate while they were in their forward observation post. In a few minutes time...bingo....Breakfast is served.

It also did double duty as a sock dryer.
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Maybe "far fetched" but I could see something similar as this being used by a machine gunner or sniper tucked away & in a stationary position. Cover the peak with foliage & it would make a pretty good concealed helmet

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast