Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

M42 - Bavarian Bunker find

Article about: Hello Forum! I planned on not buying helmets this year... and yet here I am - 17 days later. I found this really nice M42 for sale, and just had to buy it. I am the first collector to own it

Default M42 - Bavarian Bunker find

Hello Forum!

I planned on not buying helmets this year... and yet here I am - 17 days later.

I found this really nice M42 for sale, and just had to buy it. I am the first collector to own it, as the Seller told me his father found it in a Bunker in Bavaria near Munich after the war.

The rule is - buy the item, not the Story - but in this case the seller told me the Story after the Deal, and it’s just the icing on the top.

The helmet itself retains much of its grey-green color, with its Heer Decal scratched off.
    It retains half of the chinstrap, and a mostly complete liner, which has turned black in some parts (any idea on why?) the remaining leather is soft and flexible.

Weird about this helmet is, there is neither size nor makers stamp. I assume it was very slight and wore off, yet i have never seen a helmet withouth the stamp. I am still convinced the helmet is 100% Original. Based on the Size and Vents i assume an NS/ET in Size 66.
    The Lotn. Stamp exists and it’s 61.

M42 - Bavarian Bunker findM42 - Bavarian Bunker findM42 - Bavarian Bunker findM42 - Bavarian Bunker findM42 - Bavarian Bunker find

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement M42 - Bavarian Bunker find
    P
    Many

The helmet is an EF , nice find.

Awesome! Helmets like this have so much character, the "been there, done that look". I need one of those.

I kinda shot myself in the foot for buying helmets. There's a nice Luft relic helmet from Carentan that I've been wanting, but I bought many little expensive things, thus eliminating my relic budget for the year so far, lol!

Nice EF M42 indeed.
    The font used for the lot numbers and also the "care", or lack thereof with which the markings are stamped in the shell are always a giveaway for an EF helmet.
    The markings for M42s be EF on the side are also very often very faint or not visible at all.
    Luis

Very nice helmet by all means and if you’re happy and comfortable with the story then that is definitely a plus
    regarding our golden rule buy the item and not the story unfortunately that has in many cases broken down certain items Field made which are not textbook maybe we should be a bit flexible and trust a seller with a long-term relation and why not trust the story

Congratulations Adravor. A nice original M42. The decal Looks period removed to me too!

BTW - I say that about the decal removal as the wear in others areas is the same. But as we know, we may never know. Perhaps removed by a GI prior to shipping home...?

Well, definitly not a GI. As said it stayed in Germany since the war. I could ask the Seller if his dad remembers if he removed the Decal, as he was the one who found it. If not its pretty sure it was period removed.

Ask him Adravor. I try to tally as much information about the previous lives of my helmets at possible. Then keep a record of it. Some of it is just extremely minimal like “found in Poland” or “bought at Ohio valley militaria show in 80s”. But just whatever it is. I just keep that info tied with the helmet for my own purposes. Ask him he may remember more the next time you chat
    Z

Quote by Adravor View Post
    Well, definitly not a GI. As said it stayed in Germany since the war. I could ask the Seller if his dad remembers if he removed the Decal, as he was the one who found it. If not its pretty sure it was period removed.
    Oops, ‘Bavarian Bunker Find’ - think that says it all. Missed that bit.

Definitely looks like a period removal. Be interested to know more about it as Zach said.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast