Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

M42 decal on wrong side?

Article about: I had this helmet for a few months at a antique shop and I just noticed... Is the decal on the wrong side? . Map checked the batch numbers a while back and it's on the tail end before they s

FNG
    ?

Default M42 decal on wrong side?

I had this helmet for a few months at a antique shop and I just noticed...

Is the decal on the wrong side? . Map checked the batch numbers a while back and it's on the tail end before they stopped application of the decals. Any thoughts on it? I believe the decal is 100 percent correct.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture M42 decal on wrong side?   M42 decal on wrong side?  

M42 decal on wrong side?   M42 decal on wrong side?  

M42 decal on wrong side?  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement M42 decal on wrong side?
    P
    Many

Short answer is YES ... but why?.
    Long answer is that the maker is ckl ( ET ) and the lot is 3??? ( cant read the stamping ) - BUT the decal drop is 3500 & up so that's important.
    As to the decal itself - there are smarter members but it looks like an ET one to me...
    " I'm putting off procrastination until next week "

FNG
    ?

It's really hard to read with it being such a light strike, I think it's 33?
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture M42 decal on wrong side?   M42 decal on wrong side?  

M42 decal on wrong side?  

3827? nice shots BTW.

FNG
    ?

Yes really hard I tried all angles in the light. It does look like a 38, so if the cut off was 3500 then there shouldn't be a decal on this, it's looks like it's been on there forever

ahh you can't rely on the lot lists, and being on the wrong side could be for any reason. War is War.

Quote by FNG View Post
    It's really hard to read with it being such a light strike, I think it's 33?
    Looks to me like the 2nd digit is '8', it can't be '3' as it appears to have a round top and bottom. The 3rd digit looks like '2' as it has a round top and an apparently a horizontal linear bottom?

But, as Rene says, I don't have much confidence in the lot code as a "precision" authenticator of date.

No clue about the decal placement. Could be a simple period "error" or a (shortly) post-war application of a genuine decal?

Intriguing.

Mark
    Last edited by Watchdog; 04-06-2022 at 08:53 AM. Reason: typo
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

FNG
    ?

Yes, human error possibly.

FNG
    ?

It's definitely 3827. Very well could be a error..true...very valid point being post war added but why...doesn't make sense. The wear on the helmet and around the decal blend very well

Quote by FNG View Post
    It's definitely 3827. Very well could be a error..true...very valid point being post war added but why...doesn't make sense. The wear on the helmet and around the decal blend very well
    Would be good to get Frank, Michael & Terrys' thoughts on it.
    #3827 puts it late in 1943 manufacture ( I believe, as Rene said lot dates aren't gospel ) but it certainly is interesting and not just the "run-of-the-mill".
    " I'm putting off procrastination until next week "

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast