Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

M42 EF68?? or 66? What do you think.

Article about: Was out at a small local show today. Was NOT going to buy anything, just wanted to pass some time. Most of the items at these shows are fake anyway.... But spotted this at a table. Finally a

MAP
    ?

Default M42 EF68?? or 66? What do you think.

Was out at a small local show today. Was NOT going to buy anything, just wanted to pass some time. Most of the items at these shows are fake anyway.... But spotted this at a table.

Finally an un-messed with no decal M42. I then turned it over and unfortunately the liner was in less than perfect shape. Maybe blood damage...I not sure. Oh well...time to move on.

But then I looked at the size...it appears to be a hard to find sized 68 (but could be a 66. )

What do you guys think???? Is it a sized 68??

Anyway, was not going to buy it, but I wanted to save this helmet. It's a nice sized lid, paint is fantastic and a getting harder to find "No Decal". And while the liner has seen better days, it is orignal and the split pins are perfectly flat.

I think this is a great starter helmet and will be happy to pass it off to someone else at pretty much the cost I paid for it. Which by the way was 40% less than the asking price and near relic levels.

Out doors in Sun

M42 EF68?? or 66? What do you think. M42 EF68?? or 66? What do you think.

Out doors in shade

"Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement M42 EF68?? or 66? What do you think.
    P
    Many

It looks like a 68 as the liner is stamped 61. Nice pick up.

MAP
    ?

Quote by Blackdog View Post
    Thanks. That is what I thought. Wish the liner was in a bit better shape. But it is all there. And could easily be swapped out with a better condition sized 61 leather if you can find one. But I don't ever mess with that.

Not sure if I'm going to keep it however. Picked it up just to make sure it went to a good home. Plus it was dirt cheap.

Always fun when you have to educate the dealers. they didn't know it was an M42. They didn't know where to look for the marking, They didn't know what the markings meant. They were great guys however WW2 helmets were not their thing. They also had a minty early square dip fire helmet with canted national shield and the big white swastika as well that I could have gotten cheap if I put an offer on it.

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

It's a shame about the liner, it does look rather fragile, (I think finding an original liner in that size would be rather tricky) but yes, dealers don't always know the the subtle nuances of every item they sell, so sounds like you got yourself a good deal on such a large lid.

MAP
    ?

I going to try to find a home for it. Despite being a 68, it is not my thing. I'll keep it for now but willing to pass if along to anyone interested. As noted, It's a great starter helmet in a desirable size.

Michael I agree the liner is a a 61 helmet would be a 68. Glad you brought the orphan home.
    Marty
    Fortune favors the brave 644th td

MAP
    ?

Quote by tank destroyer View Post
    Michael I agree the liner is a a 61 helmet would be a 68. Glad you brought the orphan home.
    Marty
    Thanks Marty. Now just have to find another home for it...Hopefully there is someone out there looking for a nice clean starter helmet for real cheap.

A good pick up Michael, a 68 for sure and the paint work is superb. Leon.

Quote by Blackdog View Post

Just a note, not saying thats the case with this one; but yes and no at the same time. The liners were often shortened or lenghened (is this word correct). I had a 66 shell that had 61 marked leather that was shortened to 58. BUT most of the time the liners were shotened because of the quantity of 62,64 and 66 compared to the 68 and up.

J

[QUOTE=MAP;1731698]Was out at a small local show today. Was NOT going to buy anything, just wanted to pass some time. Most of the items at these shows are fake anyway.... But spotted this at a table.

Finally an un-messed with no decal M42. I then

But then I looked at the size...it appears to be a hard to find sized 68 (but could be a 66. )

What do you guys think???? Is it a sized 68??

Anyway, was not going to buy it, but I wanted to save this helmet.well blow me Mike that's one piss poor excuse to purchase yet another Tin-pot to add to all the other Tin-pots you already have.!...............

What's next the samaritans saving all those lonely Tin-pots.!

Hello Mr Mike i'm a lonely Tin-pot please save me.!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast