Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

M42 Full Basket Chicken Wire

Article about: Would love to hear opinions on this Chicken wire helmet. I’ve always wanted one. But good ones seem to be few and far between. I thought this one might stand a chance since it is from a go

Default M42 Full Basket Chicken Wire

Would love to hear opinions on this Chicken wire helmet. I’ve always wanted one. But good ones seem to be few and far between. I thought this one might stand a chance since it is from a good helmet dealer, but doesn’t guarantee it’s authentic. I have never handled a chicken wire helmet so my knowledge is limited. The two things that do raise a red flag to me is the actual wire to the helmet does not seem “tight” and there is very little wear and ghosting from the wire to the helmet itself. Maybe I’m being a pessimist but would like the helmet to be a authentic chicken wire lol. So I turn to people who know wire helmets and ask for opinions on it. Thank you guys for any knowledge shared with me. Also just a side note the camo itself for some reason seems odd to me not sure if it’s just the color or maybe the texture?
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture M42 Full Basket Chicken Wire   M42 Full Basket Chicken Wire  

M42 Full Basket Chicken Wire   M42 Full Basket Chicken Wire  

M42 Full Basket Chicken Wire  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement M42 Full Basket Chicken Wire
    P
    Many

M38
    ?

I'm no expert on wires but it is the proper kind of wire. There is not much ghosting of the wire on the outer shell but as you say, it is rather loosely fitted on the shell. Which is not a bad thing really. If you think about it, the idea behind adding wire was to allow for holding twigs and leaves and such, and if it was too tight to the shell you couldn't get anything under it. The way it is fastened inside is typical and looks old and even shows some wire ghosting there. If the dealer name shown in one of the photos is the current dealer he is a good reputable source.

Cheers,
    Terry

I like what I see here! The edge wear, rust oxides and staining takes quite a bit of time to occur. Then the white oxide build up along the wire by the liners band. Takes years for that to happen.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture M42 Full Basket Chicken Wire  

It is an M42 , so maker and lot may throw some light on the fact there should or should not be a decal.

M38- you have a very good point on the tightness of the wire not needing to be tight to the helmet never Even thought of that really.
    Rich, Thank you I never even noticed the ghosting of the wire on the inside of The shell!
    Schwerpunkt I apologize this is a CKL64 lot-?23?

Here is the Stamping of the Lot and makers mark just in case anyone else can make it out. Lot number is quite faint to me.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture M42 Full Basket Chicken Wire  

?

I am certainly no expert in these, but I would have expected to see more wear, or damage, to the paintwork directly beneath the wire - especially with it being a loose wire - though, of course, I defer to those with far more experience.

(I have only one chicken-wired M40, albeit a relic).

I read the number in the helmet as 4239 or 4238 which should have been produced after decals. The split pins appear to be painted with the helmet which for factory paint would be incorrect. Here is a ckl made very close to the same time. The wire being that loose over the years between transport, setting it down and other handling I would expect to see more interaction of the wire with the helmet paint. IMHO the wire was added to embelish the value of an otherwise ND that had been messed with already.

I find this one hard to judge, but - i agree with Logictox. Something seems off to me. I may be wrong - and if its been messed with its been done quiet well, but comparing it to other examples, i feel like the rust spots, the wear and also the liner dont really add up.

For better pictures i reccomend heading over to Virtual Grenadier, they have more and higher quality pictures.

MAP
    ?

My gut says "no". But that is the issue with wires.
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast