Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

M42 Heer Helmet Single Decal

Article about: I would like some opinions about this helmet I have. From my research, it has a Gustav Peiniger decal, yet it’s an M42. I want to make sure that it’s legitimate. Thank you

?

Default M42 Heer Helmet Single Decal

I would like some opinions about this helmet I have. From my research, it has a Gustav Peiniger decal, yet it’s on a M42. I want to make sure that it’s real. Thank you.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture M42 Heer Helmet Single Decal   M42 Heer Helmet Single Decal  

M42 Heer Helmet Single Decal   M42 Heer Helmet Single Decal  

M42 Heer Helmet Single Decal   M42 Heer Helmet Single Decal  

M42 Heer Helmet Single Decal  
    Last edited by Jaws; 05-19-2024 at 10:19 PM.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement M42 Heer Helmet Single Decal
    P
    Many

I see the lot # but who is the maker? ...looks like a hkp ( SE )
    If hkp, then that lot number still lies before the decal drop date in August '43

sorry, just saw the faint EF - but still before the drop date
    " I'm putting off procrastination until next week "

?

The decal seems to mostly be found on reissued M35 helmets, so I was wondering if the decal could show up on a M42 helmet. The maker mark says EF66.

Unusual to see a Peiniger decal on a M42, more likely on early reissues as stated.
    What with the damage to the decal and hairline cracks I think the decal could have been applied post war.

Post war applied imo.

?

The helmet is within the range when decals were applied, so I’m not sure why someone would remove the original decal to put another decal on it.

EF stamp is in the back so that means late production. 1943 or later.
    The ones I have in my lot nr list with lot 1278 are side marked ones.
    So this one was probably an ND.

?

So are lot numbers not sequential? It was my understanding lot numbers into the mid 3000 were SD.

Quote by Jaws View Post
    So are lot numbers not sequential? It was my understanding lot numbers into the mid 3000 were SD.
    Each factory had a different approach so you cannot speak in general terms when you say 3000 , the decal drop happened not long after the maker stamps moved to the rear. Each maker would be in a different lot nr range.
    EF is probably the most difficult one to get a grasp on how they worked as a lot of their stamps are not 100% readable either. They have 5 digit decalled M42's for example (some rear marked) and the rest of the data seems to mix no decalled and decalled helmets.

Lot number data sadly has been over simplified and misunderstood the last couple of years. People tend to look more at the data then the helmet in hand and it's the helmet in hand that should trump anything put into a list. (if authentic).

?

Schwerpunkt, thank you for your reply! Is there anything specific about the helmet that makes you say its post-war? You have 5 SD Heer helmets on your list that are “rear marked,” one of them even states it has the “mad faced” decal. Which I understand to be the Gustav Peiniger variant. Nearly all the helmets on your list in that lot number range have decals. If there are obviously other helmets that are “authenticated” with the same characteristics on your list and lot numbers cannot be trusted, what exactly is the issue?

Blackdog, stated “hairline cracks and damage to the decal” as the reason for his opinion. I don’t see hairline cracks. What about the damage to the decal makes it post war? Are your concerns the same? Can someone educate me on what to look for. I am a novice collector who would like to learn what to avoid.

I purchased the helmet from a very reputable dealer here in the US. He stands behind his items and has offered to buy the helmet back if I am no longer comfortable with it.
    Last edited by Jaws; 05-21-2024 at 10:19 PM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast