Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

M42 Helmet

Article about: Hello Forum, What do you think about this M42? I know the SS symbols are fake, but they seem like they would easily removed as they are already coming off. The helmet is ckl produced in Size

Default M42 Helmet

Hello Forum,

What do you think about this M42? I know the SS symbols are fake, but they seem like they would easily removed as they are already coming off.
    The helmet is ckl produced in Size 66 with the Lotn. 543, which would make it a ND helmet, although i dont see any remains of a decal on it.

The paint and liner look - at first glance good and original to me although the outside of the helmet looks rather blue, while the inside is rather green, which confuses me a bit, i dont have that much experience on the paint of M42s, and i am not 100% convinced about the Liner, so i would appreciate your Opinion on both, and if its indeed original.

Any comments and opinions as always appreaciated!

M42 HelmetM42 HelmetM42 HelmetM42 HelmetM42 Helmet

Regards,
    Adravor

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement M42 Helmet
    P
    Many

Looks OK from these pics although I’d ask for photos of the liner pins as the liner is around the wrong way. Some outside pics of the paint would be nice too although the paint in the rear skirt looks original.

Andy

The price got to high for what it is, so i let it pass and decided to invest it rather in something i want more - a normandie camo or a nice named helmet.
    Thank you very much for the advice anyways!

Adravor, wise decision. I speak from my own mistakes/experience when I say a little money and patience saved now, will result in a much better helmet. Its often said, but there are still plenty of helmets out there and more coming on the market as older collectors sell up and others simply move on. You’ll eventually get a good one that will really tick all the boxes you want it too!

Andy

Quote by Adravor View Post
    The helmet is ckl produced in Size 66 with the Lotn. 543, which would make it a ND helmet, although i dont see any remains of a decal on it.
    There is another digit in front of the Lot No - so x543. Possibly it is a lightly stamped '4'.
    If it is a '4' this would be after the start of the decal drop circa 3200.

Good spot on the reversed liner by Andy - although not an impossibility it would be unusual. I think it was best avoided also.

nick

The fact that the seam of the leather is at the position is at could indicate two things, one, that the inner ring was taken out of the liner band (which was done sometimes post war) or the leather was swapped out and a different one was put in incorrectly.
    Either way something was done to the liner, if this were a single band alu liner it could be because of breakage and field repair but as I see no signs of that (besides it being a steel liner band) I doubt that.
    Just keep looking, there's still plenty out there, I just yesterday got an EF M42 ND in very nice condition, unfortunately the leather portion of the liner looks to have rotted away but the rest is still quite nice.
    Luis