Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

M42 helmet (opinions)

Article about: So recently I’ve found this helmet which isn’t in the best shape but to me has a lot of character and tells a story so before I decide to buy I want to get it vetted by you guys. It’s a CKL

Default M42 helmet (opinions)

So recently I’ve found this helmet which isn’t in the best shape but to me has a lot of character and tells a story so before I decide to buy I want to get it vetted by you guys. It’s a CKL 66, batch #2587. It comes with capture papers which I thought was a cool addition but I know I should take that with a grain of salt as it’s just a peice of paper and could just be printed out on the internet. The liner is bad and it seems like to me it could be an ex Camo helmet or white wash. And the decal has a good chance since it’s a lower batch number and they stopped putting them on the M42 helmet around the 4000 correct? (I know you guys will probably need better pics of the decal and I’ll get them for you guys tomorrow)
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture M42 helmet (opinions)   M42 helmet (opinions)  

M42 helmet (opinions)   M42 helmet (opinions)  

M42 helmet (opinions)  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement M42 helmet (opinions)
    P
    Many

?

The helmet looks good to me. A very well used lid with a hell of a story.

(I am no expert, so please wait for more opinions from more knowledgeable forum members)

Interesting lid Giants and as you say, I’m sure it’s seen some action.

I agee that it may very well have been white washed at one stage as can noted by the build up of white around the vent and pins.

I’ll leave it to other more experienced members to comment on the decal and capture papers.

Hi, it is impossible to tell for sure from these grainy images, but it all looks ok to me. I think most of it's issues are from bad post war storage rather than any messing around with. The capture papers are a fantastic addition provided they are the originals and not copies, those would make this helmet quite desirable in my eye's. Leon.

Agree with what FALLSCHIRMAJOR has said and the capture papers make it that little bit more interesting as it also gives a bit of research to do (which you could start doing now to help inform your decision). The story behind the helmet could be very interesting. I really like it!

Nice helmet - I think, looking at it the decal is good ET. It's hard to be sure as the pictures are a little poor.
    #2587 could have been a decaled helmet.
    Could well have been a whitewash - but hard to be sure as sometimes helmets can have been stored poorly and have residue of mold/dust etc...

That said, i'd be happy with this if the price was right.
    nick

Nick

Dare I suggest that there are traces of light green patches applied? Underneath all that muck might be a very interesting helmet!

Interesting to see the capture papers, though I notice it says "2 German helmets" so we could wonder what happened to the other one. One thing is for sure, it's in much worse condition than it was in 1943. It looks to me poor storage in damp conditions, perhaps in an old shed, rat nibbles to the liner. It does look like it may have been a winter whitewash, but the interior is an anticlimax.

Interesting find Giants.... you certainly do find them Good or Bad!

A perfectly decent lid. The liner is nothing to shout about, but you won't be able to see it most of the time anyway. It would look very good on a shelf, with the capture papers displayed next to it in a frame.

Regards, B.B.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast