Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

M42 Stahlhelm Hkp66, Lot. nr. 38(?)01 ND repaint

Article about: Hi there, Another M42 helmet i managed to buy recently. Nothing special about it. Shell size 66, manufacturer code "Hkp", lot nr. Very difficult to read, seems to be 3801 or 3901.

Default M42 Stahlhelm Hkp66, Lot. nr. 38(?)01 ND repaint

Hi there,
    Another M42 helmet i managed to buy recently. Nothing special about it. Shell size 66, manufacturer code "Hkp", lot nr. Very difficult to read, seems to be 3801 or 3901. There are few things that aren't clear to me at this moment. Why the liner band is held by brass rivets/ split pins- weren't they supposed to be only on early model helmets like M35/ M40? The other thing is paint, seems that helmet shell has been repainted with rough texture paint mixed with sand. Could that be from wartime? When i was buying helmet the photos were rather poor quality.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture M42 Stahlhelm Hkp66, Lot. nr. 38(?)01 ND repaint   M42 Stahlhelm Hkp66, Lot. nr. 38(?)01 ND repaint  

M42 Stahlhelm Hkp66, Lot. nr. 38(?)01 ND repaint   M42 Stahlhelm Hkp66, Lot. nr. 38(?)01 ND repaint  

M42 Stahlhelm Hkp66, Lot. nr. 38(?)01 ND repaint   M42 Stahlhelm Hkp66, Lot. nr. 38(?)01 ND repaint  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement M42 Stahlhelm Hkp66, Lot. nr. 38(?)01 ND repaint
    P
    Many

More photos from liner.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture M42 Stahlhelm Hkp66, Lot. nr. 38(?)01 ND repaint   M42 Stahlhelm Hkp66, Lot. nr. 38(?)01 ND repaint  

M42 Stahlhelm Hkp66, Lot. nr. 38(?)01 ND repaint  

MAP
    ?

The paint looks like the typical rough textured late war paint.

Not sure about the liner pins. Looks like they have black paint on them. Maybe the were replaced? Not sure.
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Quote by MAP View Post
    The paint looks like the typical rough textured late war paint.

Not sure about the liner pins. Looks like they have black paint on them. Maybe the were replaced? Not sure.
    So does it mean that this helmet was repainted at some point in late war period? Are there like any aproximate time frame when the rough texture paint was introduced? About helmet liner pins- to be specific- the early brass ones, can they be encountered on factory assembled M42 helmets?

I agree with MAP’s comments. Indeed this one is a bit of head scratcher. The paint looks slightly textured which is typical of late war M42’s. But i think I also see a darker paint under the textured paint. The top coat having the appearance of being scrubbed at some point. The leather appears to have a production date of late 43, but when was it fitted? Perhaps later i.e. 1944? I am unaware of how far ahead liners were produced compared with the stamping of steel helmets. The “P” may be a depot marking….

Yes, those liner pins are atypical of what you would expect to see. Did someone find some spares in a box at the factory?…..I don’t see any double bends in the liner pins which is at odds with a replaced liner and yet the brass rivets are at odds with this period

Definitely an interesting helmet.

Andy

MAP
    ?

Quote by AndyM35 View Post
    I agree with MAP’s comments. Indeed this one is a bit of head scratcher. The paint looks slightly textured which is typical of late war M42’s. But i think I also see a darker paint under the textured paint. The top coat having the appearance of being scrubbed at some point. The leather appears to have a production date of late 43, but when was it fitted? Perhaps later i.e. 1944? I am unaware of how far ahead liners were produced compared with the stamping of steel helmets. The “P” may be a depot marking….

Yes, those liner pins are atypical of what you would expect to see. Did someone find some spares in a box at the factory?…..I don’t see any double bends in the liner pins which is at odds with a replaced liner and yet the brass rivets are at odds with this period

Definitely an interesting helmet.

Andy
    The darker color under the textured paint looked like bare metal that has darkened to me, but if it is paint as you suggest and I missed it, then that top rough coat has been added.

Also, I agree with you that the helmet has been scrubbed

A number of anomalies with this helmet. Trying to explain a single anomaly is always difficult but here we have a number of them....

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Here are more photos, to me it does look like that there are 3 layers of paint, the dark one, seen on the outside on the back, and right side, and smooth lighter tone paint left side of the helmet and inside, the sun visor (?) I hope it is correct therm.

Quote by MAP View Post
    The darker color under the textured paint looked like bare metal that has darkened to me, but if it is paint as you suggest and I missed it, then that top rough coat has been added.

Also, I agree with you that the helmet has been scrubbed

A number of anomalies with this helmet. Trying to explain a single anomaly is always difficult but here we have a number of them....
    It sure is puzzling "specimen" but i am open to discussion including both spectrums of opinions. For me it is interesting topic.

MAP
    ?

Quote by Oberschutze View Post
    It sure is puzzling "specimen" but i am open to discussion including both spectrum of opinions. For me it is interesting topic.
    What concerns me the most is the black paint on the liner pins.

M38
    ?

Quote by MAP View Post
    What concerns me the most is the black paint on the liner pins.
    Are we even sure those split rivets are real? They look to be more domed and too shiny for 75 year old rivets I think. I know they can't all be beauty queens but this helmet has been scrubbed and cleaned and messed with and is not very collectable, sorry to say.

Cheers,
    Terry

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast