Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

M42 Stop that Rust

Article about: Hey guys the M40 fell through but I found this M42 and before I buy I had a question the outer helmet seems to be covered in “active” rust if that makes sense is there a way to stop the

Default M42 Stop that Rust

Hey guys the M40 fell through but I found this M42 and before I buy I had a question the outer helmet seems to be covered in “active” rust if that makes sense is there a way to stop the Rust from spreading all over without causing harm to the helmet I do not want to use oils and if that’s the only way I would rather pass on the helmet.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture M42 Stop that Rust   M42 Stop that Rust  

M42 Stop that Rust   M42 Stop that Rust  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement M42 Stop that Rust
    P
    Many

If it was a relic, I'd advocate the 'tea bath' method. It involves filling a tub with warm water, stirring in a pack of teabags and leaving the helmet to sit in it for a few hours. But I wouldn't try that method with a helmet that still has its liner and chinstrap. A little bit of oil would allow you to remove the rust, using something like a stiff-bristled toothbrush. You'd have to go carefully to avoid damaging the paint, but in my opinion it's worth the effort. Other than the surface rust, this lid is in very good shape.

You don't need to douse the entire shell in oil. Just a light squirt on a brush would do it, wiping off the excess as you go.

Regards, B.B.

If you do that and it works, please post the whole process and your experience! I also have an M42 with surface rust, but i suspect it still has much good paint "hidden", so far i did not treat it, as i was scared to damage it.

Thank you Brodie, if I had more confidence in my ability to do it I would but I just couldn’t forgive myself if I ruined one inch of paint so I’ll probably pass on it and let someone who knows what they are doing buy it haha

I’m the same way Adravor I don’t know how I’d react if I caused damage to a helmet lol.

MAP
    ?

IMHO, it is light surface rust. Leave it as is in a low/stable humidity environment and it will be fine.
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

If I where to leave it as is Map would the rust spread or no and could it cause extra rust on my other helmets if in the same cabinet. it might seem like a silly question but I just want to make sure I preserve history correctly.

If it's stored in a stable environment, the rust won't worsen. It won't spread to other helmets unless it's touching them.

Regards, B.B.

Thank you Brodie! Each one has its own glass shelf and I live in a desert low humidity and very dry lol. And the cabinet has air tight seals so the inside stays pretty cool.

Quote by Giants77 View Post
    Thank you Brodie! Each one has its own glass shelf and I live in a desert low humidity and very dry lol. And the cabinet has air tight seals so the inside stays pretty cool.
    You definitely have no need to worry, then. Here in the UK it gets very humid during the summer months, and I've never had any issues with rust spreading as long as I don't handle those items with bare hands. I've had a relic and non-relic helmet displayed side by side in a glass cabinet for a couple of years, and neither of them have changed as far as condition is concerned.

Regards, B.B.

Okay great thank you Brodie! Then I will make another push to get the helmet! I’ve also been thinking about getting disposable gloves for when I handle my helmets just so I keep the natural oils from my hands from getting on the helmets.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast