Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here

M42 w/ chickenwire

Article about: Hi I would most appreciate your help on the authenticity of this stahlhelm. In general it looks good for me, the chinstrap was added later, but the shell is what i like at most. Regards! Tom

Alpini80
    ?

Default M42 w/ chickenwire

Hi
    I would most appreciate your help on the authenticity of this stahlhelm.
    In general it looks good for me, the chinstrap was added later, but the shell is what i like at most.
    Regards!
    Tomas
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture M42 w/ chickenwire   M42 w/ chickenwire  

M42 w/ chickenwire   M42 w/ chickenwire  

2. # ADS

Default Re: M42 w/ chickenwire

Could you post some closer pics of the wire? From the pics posted, the twist looks to be that typical of US chicken wire, but it is hard to tell. There are alot of factors to consider with wire helmets, and I will leave it to others to discuss them, but the first thing to look at is if the wire is "European style" (no change in direction of the twist) or "US style" (with a change in direction in the twist half way through the leg). If there is a change in the direction of the twist, I think most collectors would pas on the piece straight away. Jim G.

?

Quote by helmet2id View Post
    Could you post some closer pics of the wire? From the pics posted, the twist looks to be that typical of US chicken wire, but it is hard to tell. There are alot of factors to consider with wire helmets, and I will leave it to others to discuss them, but the first thing to look at is if the wire is "European style" (no change in direction of the twist) or "US style" (with a change in direction in the twist half way through the leg). If there is a change in the direction of the twist, I think most collectors would pas on the piece straight away. Jim G.
    One thing that I have seen in authentic wired helmets is that they leave a mark on the helmet with the exact shape of the wire on top, after 70 yrs there must be scratches every where...

Alpini80
    ?

Hi Guys, thank you very much for your comments, here are some further pictures of the chickenwire.

By the way, what do you think of the shell itself?

Thanks!

Tomas
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture M42 w/ chickenwire   M42 w/ chickenwire  

M42 w/ chickenwire   M42 w/ chickenwire  

M42 w/ chickenwire  

Quote by helmet2id View Post
    Crikey! Looks like a good call there Jim, it does appear that the twist changes through 180 degrees half way across the leg.

Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

I wouldn't dismiss this out of hand

The rust colour and wire twist pattern would kill it for me.

Cheers, Ade.

?

I agree with Ade that fresh looking rust would be enough for me to walk away or take my finger off my bidding button rgds Dave