Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here

M44 helmet find

Article about: Hi Guys I got hold of a relic condition M44 helmet that seems have to a genuine ET22 stamp in it, and grey paint under what could be post-war green paint. There isn't much to go on, pics att

?

Default M44 helmet find

Hi Guys

I got hold of a relic condition M44 helmet that seems have to a genuine ET22 stamp in it, and grey paint under what could be post-war green paint.

There isn't much to go on, pics attached, what are you thoughts on this please?

Thanks
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture M44 helmet find   M44 helmet find  

M44 helmet find   M44 helmet find  

M44 helmet find  
    Attached Files Attached Files

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement M44 helmet find
    P
    Many

I'm not entirely convinced... and the stamp 'ET22' doesn't do much to support the theory either. From my limited knowledge of German helmets, the makers mark is followed by the shell size... and 22 would be miniscule. A messed about M56 helmet shell.

That would be a tremendous find indeed but like Steve I am somewhat sceptical.

At first glance there appears to be no turning of the rim which would be correct for the elusive B/II (correct nomenclature) but certainly in the last picture it looks like this might have been "rolled out" using something like an English Wheel (used in hand making vehicle body panels).

I am sure that the liner pin holes will turn out to be the correct size (won't quote that here for obvious reasons) but to me they don't look like they were done by a machine tool on an assembly line (huge heavy plant making perfect symetrical holes thousands of times in a row) and possibly not even in a home mechanics drill press. In the pictures they seem to be imprecise and show signs of burring.

Also, as we often observe on metal artifacts the rust is very recent which does not in itself deny overall age but it does mean that it has only been in a rust inducing environment in recet times. There is older dark rust spotting but just not what I would expect in such a case.

As for the ET22 stamp, I have never had the good fortune to handle a genuine B/II but I really don't like anything about that stamp at all. it looks like the kind of stamps I put on tools by hand in my own shed.

I would love to be totally wrong and for this to be a "golden nugget" but somehow I doubt it.

Regards

Mark
    Last edited by Watchdog; 01-23-2021 at 01:49 PM. Reason: Typo
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

Fantasy item.

You see those up on German ebay quite frequently, and not one I have seen yet actually looked the part.
    This is just another attempt at making an M56 look like a Thale prototype
    Luis

Looks like part of a Gas Boiler!

?

Cheers Guys - as always, appreciate the feedback and informed opinions