Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

My first german helmet

Article about: I thought I would show my first German helmet. I don't know much about them. On the inside rim in has Q61 over N368. The chin strap has been broken but, is still attached has gtg 1943 stampe

?

Default Re: My first german helmet

Lets wait n see what other highly experienced collectors think of this one. I will be tuned in. =)

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement My first german helmet
    P
    Many

?

I was thinking the same thing about the black paint being flak support for the Luftwaffe . Being Airfield found supports this theory, IMO . Great find, thanks for sharing!
    Dean.

I like it. I think the paint job is wartime. As for it being flak unit? I don't know for sure.

Hey Jay I looked up your helmet for you in my helmet lot number book, and the closest I could find matching was a M40 Q64 DN368, and it says it was issued as a ND slate, meaning no decal and painted slate color, so there is a good chance its original paint and just has a nice dark patina from age, according to the book the DN series is thought to be the longest running M40 series, spanning nearly 5 years, and model numbers DN360 and up were produced in aug 43 till the end of the war. hope this helps!

?

The helmet color appears repainted and not patination, black could be postwar paint, hard to say with 100% accuracy.

?

Thank you gentleman
    Jay

I have to agree , when the black paint was applied is difficult to pinpoint , the original color is also nicely visible. personally I think it's all period.

Quote by Schwerpunkt View Post
    I have to agree , when the black paint was applied is difficult to pinpoint , the original color is also nicely visible. personally I think it's all period.
    Same here.

Throw it up on the shelf, call it a flak helmet, and be done with it.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3