Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

My first German helmet

Article about: I picked up my first German helmet yesterday. Its a size 68 shell, 61 liner, with "ET" stamped in it. No idea what its worth, paid a decent amount but probably got a good deal. I g

Default My first German helmet

I picked up my first German helmet yesterday. Its a size 68 shell, 61 liner, with "ET" stamped in it. No idea what its worth, paid a decent amount but probably got a good deal. I got it with a bunch of other stuff a vet brought back, including a canteen, mess kit and bayonet. Anything else i should be looking for on the helmet? The decal is visible but pretty worn down, chin strap is missing, but the liner is intact with all the original string and such.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement My first German helmet
    P
    Many

Default Re: My first German helmet

Nothing wrong with this helmet - I like it a lot! A nice one for the first one. Congrat's, Jim G.

ya congrats, Nice worn Heer helmet. with little history to boot.

Very nice one congrats.

Eric
    [h=3]e plu·ri·bus u·num[/h]

Nice helmet. Congrats.

?

Hello Jaybone, you're off to a good start! That's a nice M42 army helmet. A size 68 is a little rarer too, being one of the largest sizes at the time. Only 10 percent of the helmets made during the war were of a size 68. Those, and the size 60's (the smallest) are the rarer sizes...along with the XXL/70's. The size 61 liner is correct to fit with a size 68 shell too. As for the ET mark, it shows that the helmet was made at the Eisenhuttenwerke in Thale. They also used the ckl maker mark. Liners have 8 or 9 "fingers" depending on the size and were originally made of either sheep, goat or pigskin that often darkens with age. Many fake liners have a reddish brown look. Beware of them as they are usually modern Norwegian made. Have a look at where the markings are too. The ET68 should be centre left or centre rear. The production or batch number should be at the rear of the helmet and usually consists of 3/4 digits.
    Hope this helps.
    Regards,

Carl.

?

Looks like you did just fine.

Looks like a decent one, Well done