Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

My first German helmet with a liner..... from 42 years ago.

Article about: My parents bought me this German helmet 42 years ago as my Christmas present when I was 7 years old. Even then dealers were telling lies to sell items they had. My Father was sold this helme

Default My first German helmet with a liner..... from 42 years ago.

My parents bought me this German helmet 42 years ago as my Christmas present when I was 7 years old. Even then dealers were telling lies to sell items they had. My Father was sold this helmet as an all original German helmet and as he knew no better got it for me. I have kept it because it was a present from my parents and as such is irreplacable. I can still remember opening the box in which were a number of other items of militaria that they had found for me, but a German helmet was something I had been after for ages and ages.
    I know its not what its supposed to be but with the number of these that have been stripped and re-worked even this one I should think is collectable in its own right.
    Hope you like it. I am sure one of you guys with a list of the lot numers can tell me it was a SS double decal originally..... anyone got a scan of the lot numbers they can email to me, it would be much appreciated.
    All the best from Jersey,
    D.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture My first German helmet with a liner..... from 42 years ago.   My first German helmet with a liner..... from 42 years ago.  

My first German helmet with a liner..... from 42 years ago.   My first German helmet with a liner..... from 42 years ago.  

My first German helmet with a liner..... from 42 years ago.   My first German helmet with a liner..... from 42 years ago.  

My first German helmet with a liner..... from 42 years ago.  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement My first German helmet with a liner..... from 42 years ago.
    P
    Many

A very nice Norwegian re-issue.

A very nice helmet all the same but i bet your heart sank just a little when you opened it!....

Hi Gunny,
    Yes, I must admit that it did. Especially at the time as the Island was still full of good original examples left over from the German Occupation. My annoyance was more that some miserable dealer had lied to my Father and passed this helmet off on him. Today, I just look at it and remember getting it and now realise how much my parents have helped and encouraged me to collect although not interested themselves. They still sit and listen when I show them something new I have got my hands on after 42 years. I have started to notice that their eyes have glazed over a little after a couple of minutes but I put that down to age more than anything else.
    D.

A lotnumber does not point to just one branch so even if there is one SS match it does not mean this one is SS for sure.

It could have been a double decal luftwaffe with snakeleg eagle as there is a match for that at the GHW database, but not necessarily.

That's a nice example for what it is though mate, and lovely that you got it all those years ago from your folks at Xmas. Definitely a keeper.
    Last edited by KradSpam; 10-01-2013 at 12:17 AM.

Special helmet Jersey I know the feeling I posted one here while back I got when I was about ten a M-42 repainted but I wouldn't part with it for the price of a SS. Glad you posted it maybe some can take note of the liner in it and study it as there is too much cry "Norweign Liner" on here that is a good example of what a reworked and dyed one looks like. Special helmet for you Thanks Mom and Dad. timothy

You have wonderful parents that encouraged and helped a child to dream and become a lover of history and a collector of great items. Pass the passion on to the next generation, may they never forget. Marty
    Fortune favors the brave 644th td

?

Quote by douglas2496 View Post
    A very nice Norwegian re-issue.
    Agree and collectable in its own right as it is all part of its history.
    Regards,
    John

?

Quote by Schwerpunkt View Post
    A lotnumber does not point to just one branch so even if there is one SS match it does not mean this one is SS for sure.
    That is quite true so a lot number wont help you. The GHW2 database is for members, it is free to join and you simply have to gain Veteran status to access it. As for my SS database it is private and I choose not to share it publicly at this time. Suffice to say, I have seen each of the 550+ SS helmets either in hand (about 20% of them have been in my collection at one time or another) or with top photos, and believe them all to be 100% good SS examples. There are lists out there that assume the helmets are real or copied from other sources without seeing the helmets, or from guesswork so you want to be careful when making assumptions on lot numbers being this or that. Hence my database is private and for generally my own use as I know what I have seen, but I share individual data if I find it to be relevant.

In any case its a Norgie rework and a nice one for a 7 year olds present!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast