Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here

My Luftwaffe SD M40

Article about: ... and to add to the record, this is my Luftwaffe M40. The shell is quite poorly struck ‘EF64’ (Emaillierwerke AG, Fulda), with an unusual batch number ‘0068’, in mixed fonts. The liner is

?

Default My Luftwaffe SD M40

... and to add to the record, this is my Luftwaffe M40.
    The shell is quite poorly struck ‘EF64’ (Emaillierwerke AG, Fulda), with an unusual batch number ‘0068’, in mixed fonts.
    The liner is very nicely stamped ‘B & C’ (Beidermann u. Czarnikow), over ‘Berlin 1942’.
    I have my doubts about the chinstrap, however, which just doesn’t ‘feel’ right and I don’t believe it is original to the helmet (if indeed it is original at all).

Regrettably, I am unable to complete my basic Luftwaffe set, at the present, as I missed out on the SD M42 (with crown inspection stamp), that I had been hankering after.
    He who hesitates...

All the very best, as ever,
    Bob
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture My Luftwaffe SD M40   My Luftwaffe SD M40  

My Luftwaffe SD M40   My Luftwaffe SD M40  

My Luftwaffe SD M40   My Luftwaffe SD M40  

My Luftwaffe SD M40  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement My Luftwaffe SD M40
    P
    Many

The strap is a repro, but otherwise a decent looking lid.

TWS
    ?

Hi Bob, that's still a nice, solid helmet!

Shame you missed out on the M42 you had your eye on, but I'm sure another will come along.

As for the chinstrap, I have a helmet that has a repop strap that I put on myself for display and I've added original chinstraps a couple times over the years to helmets that arrived without. (Of course always disclosed if put up for sale). So don't feel bad, it happens to others too.

Bob,

This is still a very nice helmet regardless of the chin strap.. There is so much to watch out for today and I am not at all versed in identifying reproduction chinstraps...

Thanks for sharing this helmet with us once again.. Some really nice helmets have been popping up on here lately..

Smitty

Looks like a humpback buckle, these are cheap re-enactors straps you can buy for 20 euros.
    Nice helmet though , I would remove the strap.

Hi, a lovely looking Luftwaffe M40, as the chaps have said, the strap is not a good one and i to would personally remove it. Leon.

Nice helmet Bob. This is the second EF Luft helmet we have seen with a somewhat unusual lot number.
    The other one being here:
    Original helmet?

Nick

?

Thank you so much for all your kind comments and advice, Gentlemen.

I’ve never been happy with the chinstrap and always assumed it to have been a cheap option to ‘complete’ the helmet. As pointed out, it’s not really a difficult thing to put right; just a matter of waiting for exactly the right original (of commensurate date and condition), to come along.

Meanwhile, I may leave it until I find the original, although the helmet does look better (and certainly more honest), without it!

Looking forward to posting my SD M42... when I find it!

All the very best,
    Bob