Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

My m42 helmet

Article about: Hello everyone, As the title states this is my m42 helmet. I'm pretty sure its a late production because of the poor markings quality and the vents. The only things that concerns me about th

Default My m42 helmet

Hello everyone,

As the title states this is my m42 helmet. I'm pretty sure its a late production because of the poor markings quality and the vents. The only things that concerns me about the helmet is the liner and the chin strap. The wear on the liner looks a little funny to me while some of the wear does looks somewhat consistent to other helmets I have the weird purple/black lines give me some questions about it being an age fake. The chinstrap for the most part looks good to me but I cant really make out the markings. I'm pretty sure at some point it was repainted as the inside is more of a green while the outside is more of a blackish color. I got the helmet 2 years ago at an antique show for $260.

I'm hopping to trade it in soon towards an m35 with both heer and national decals as a Christmas gift to myself as I love the look of those helmets and if I don't act soon they'll probably be out of my price range. Sorry if the lighting is off on some of the pictures and if they're rotated weirdly. This is my first time taking pictures of a helmet and for some reason the uploader doesn't like the way my picture editor rotates the photos. Would love to hear any advice on the liner and chin strap issue. also thank you for reading.

*Update*
    After reading the responses I've uploaded a couple of pictures of the split pins as pointed out they could help determine if the helmet was reissued. One washer seems to be missing or I just didn't catch it with my eye, I tried to take a couple of the pictures of each one so they could be easily seen. I don't think they're brass as the corrosion of the pieces doesn't fit the type of color corroded brass has. Furthermore as both Houndstooth and Blackcat1982 point out the weird "wear" looks like someone drew on the liner which is funny as my father said the same thing. Why someone would do that who knows, kids and people for some reason do weird things to antiques. Thank you to everyone who posted so far the information shared has been great!
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture My m42 helmet   My m42 helmet  

My m42 helmet   My m42 helmet  

Last edited by Politefaun; 10-11-2018 at 07:49 PM. Reason: additon of split pin pictures

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement My m42 helmet
    P
    Many

MAP
    ?

Appears to be a nice late war CKL M42 shell but as stated the liner is messed with in some way.

Got me scratching my head. I'm no "Liner Expert" but can typical tell cheap repo liners but this one fits nice to the helmet and looks to be period. (hopefully others can correct me if I'm wrong). I would have expected Pigskin however.

Maybe a Norwegian red dyed liner that someone tried to scrub? There are examples of Norwegian CKL M42's in Franks Lot # database.

How do the split pins look? Are the re-bent? Do they have washer on them?

Would love to hear what others think.
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Hi, welcome to the forum, Michael, those are my thoughts exactly, looks like a "washed out/scrubbed" Norwegian dyed liner to me as well or at the very least the helmets original installed liner that was given a poor leather treatment in the past. It looks like a good original liner, just abused in some way. Leon.

Hello and thank you for the information! I've looked at the split pins and I think they look a little bent. Also after looking online about re-issued Norwegian helmets its seems like a strong possibility that its one of the red dyed liners.

I took a closer look at the outer ring of the liner (though not too close as I'm not going to try and take the liner out since I'll never be able to put it back in) and found a stamp that says either 1943 or 1944. I'm going to try and get a better look at the stamp using a small mirror. I'll post pictures of the split pins and inscription tomorrow. Again thank you for the info, I never thought anyone would be able to read the factory code on the helmet since its so faded.

The exterior is really nice and in great condition - my ckl M42 is very dark like this as well but has not been painted. Unfortunately mine has more rust.
    The liner is strange - it doesn't look to be fake, but looks like someone has drawn on it with a pen? As Michael says, pigskin would be more common.

I'm unsure on the chinstrap, but like I say - from the outside it is a great piece so you will have no problem selling it I think. That said... if I were you I would hold on to it. If you can save the $$$ for a double decal and keep this, then that is the way to go. I know how it is though, these things really hit you in the pocket. Why do we choose such an expensive hobby!?

Nick

If the liner split pins are brass rather than zinc then that would point to it being a Norwegian example. But if not then I think some kid has gone mad with a pen, not the end of the world to clean off.

Pictures of split pins added and a small update

MAP
    ?

Quote by Politefaun View Post
    Pictures of split pins added and a small update
    Thanks! These new photos are very helpful.

Zinc split pins look fine and untouched.

The new close up of the liner now lead me to lean against a scrubbed Norweign red dyed liner. Looks purple. I think I would now go with something similar to BlackCat theory.

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Thank you for the reply, happy to know its not a reissue! Would you know any technique to clean the ink off? Or is it something I should just leave alone and not risk damaging the liner?

MAP
    ?

Quote by Politefaun View Post
    Thank you for the reply, happy to know its not a reissue! Would you know any technique to clean the ink off? Or is it something I should just leave alone and not risk damaging the liner?
    Leave it as is. It's now part of the history. You have no idea what the outcome would be if you try to clean 75 year old leather.

Note: The term "re-issue" is typically used for helmets refurbished and re-issued DURING the war. your helmet is not a post war re-purposed helmet.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast