Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here

My Neighbor's WW1 German Helmet

Article about: Posting a thought provoker today. My neighbor recently passed and when they cleaned out the house, I wound up with this helmet. From the inside, it looks like a standard WW1 helmet, missing

Default My Neighbor's WW1 German Helmet

Posting a thought provoker today. My neighbor recently passed and when they cleaned out the house, I wound up with this helmet. From the inside, it looks like a standard WW1 helmet, missing most of the liner. Inside paint looks original, there is also a name. Outside appears black or really, extremely dark blue. My initial impression was that this paint was post war applied by a kid/biker/ect, but another person who has seen it says that it was painted this color for WW2 civil use. It does seem to show a considerate amount of wear on the dome. What does everyone here think? The helmet was very, very cheap so please feel free to shred it. Thanks ABN

Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture My Neighbor's WW1 German Helmet  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement My Neighbor's WW1 German Helmet
    P
    Many

Here are some photos in another light. The blue shows better on the white background, but washes out some of the detail

Inside is very nice, shame about the outside. I think this was post war done.

Nice M16 Bell L shell. Agree the paint inside the shell looks good.

Would you be able to take a closeup of each of the liner pin holes. Rear and front left, as I would like to have a look at the paint in that area.

Andy

Quote by AndyM35 View Post
    Nice M16 Bell L shell. Agree the paint inside the shell looks good.

Would you be able to take a closeup of each of the liner pin holes. Rear and front left, as I would like to have a look at the paint in that area.

Andy
    Thank you for the thoughts. I am away for the Thanksgiving Holiday in USA, will do so when I am able to in a few days. Thanks ABN

Indeed a nice shell with lots of potential...I see it's only missing 2 Liner Attachment Rivets (left front & rear skirt rivets) Chinstrap and 2 Liner Pads...As stated above, the interior paint appears original...As far as the dark-blue over-paint, it's correct that helmets were painted in this color for Civil Luftschutz/Air Raid Protection Use, so I can't dismiss it out of hand as being a postwar paint-job...Thanks for showing...
    -Glenn-