MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

My new Helmet! - M35 Luftwaffe DD

Article about: Hey all Just picked up a LW ex-tricolour helmet which was brought back from France by a US Vet and sold to a militaria dealer by his granddaughter along with a few other things (Lawrence Wal

Default My new Helmet! - M35 Luftwaffe DD

Hey all

Just picked up a LW ex-tricolour helmet which was brought back from France by a US Vet and sold to a militaria dealer by his granddaughter along with a few other things (Lawrence Walter “Larry” Otto (1920-2007) - Find a Grave Memorial)

I will coat the outside with renaissance wax but wanted an opinion on the leather. The liner is pretty decent and don't think it needs anything else other than to be stored correctly but the nice early LBA chinstrap is looking a bit.. old. Would putting renaissance wax or another product on it help restore/preserve it?

Enjoy the pics of this helmet along with my other LW Ex eagle! M35 too.... Love M35's..
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture My new Helmet! - M35 Luftwaffe DD   My new Helmet! - M35 Luftwaffe DD  

My new Helmet! - M35 Luftwaffe DD   My new Helmet! - M35 Luftwaffe DD  

My new Helmet! - M35 Luftwaffe DD  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement My new Helmet! - M35 Luftwaffe DD
    P
    Many

Nice pickup, however I would strongly advise against coating the helmet or leather with Renaissance Wax. This will only serve to ruin the original condition and patina of the helmet and greatly depreciate any value monetary and historical associated with it. The condition it is in now is fine and it has survived very well so far, so best to keep it in a temperature controlled environment out of direct sunlight and enjoy it checking periodically for condition. Best also to keep strap off the visor as this will leave a shadow if the strap is in position for too long. Renaissance wax is fine for items that are in very poor condition and does help, but your helmet looks fine.

Andy

Thanks for your thoughts. The strap is so loose it just kind of sits on the visor - It may also crack the leather more over time so will consider tucking the strap under the helmet instead of the visor for sure. The strap is nice but is really fragile.

Totally agree with Andy, leave it as original & store out of sunlight, cool place, keep products at bay,nits survived nearly 80 years....... don't interfere now !
    Regards
    Paul

Andy said it best......... keep it in a stable environment, sit back and admire the octogenerian survivor.

Quote by AndyM35 View Post
    Nice pickup, however I would strongly advise against coating the helmet or leather with Renaissance Wax. This will only serve to ruin the original condition and patina of the helmet and greatly depreciate any value monetary and historical associated with it. The condition it is in now is fine and it has survived very well so far, so best to keep it in a temperature controlled environment out of direct sunlight and enjoy it checking periodically for condition. Best also to keep strap off the visor as this will leave a shadow if the strap is in position for too long. Renaissance wax is fine for items that are in very poor condition and does help, but your helmet looks fine.

Andy
    , It might turn your liners a really dark brown, I agree with the others and very nice lids.

Bill
    "Only a pimp in a Louisiana whore house carries a pearl handled revolver"
    - General George Smith Patton Jr.

MAP
    ?

Nice pick up. Congratulations

As said, leave the helmet untouched, both inside and outside
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Where the hell did you get the idea to wax it ?

I’ve read it online and thought there was a few posts on this forum about it too. The British museum and other museums use it to preserve helmets so bought some. I used it on my Bulgarian helmet with ok results - I really didn’t notice any difference but haven’t used it on leather. It’s meant to help preserve the helmets well compared to other products

So is there nothing I can do to preserve the chinstrap? I imagine it will last for now but even in good conditions I fear it won’t last as long as the liner! Or is it best to not mess with

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast