Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here

Named double decal helmets

Article about: I proposed a question on another thread concerning why we still fine double decal helmets. In march if 1940 an order was issued to remove the nation colors trishield, but as we know we still

Default Named double decal helmets

I proposed a question on another thread concerning why we still find double decal helmets. In march 1940 an order was issued to remove the nation colors trishield, but as we know we still have double decal army and Luftwaffe helmets with double decals. The Question I still have is WHY? I have study a little about some of the possibilities and one was NCO and Officers left their on to stand out as such. The helmet I have belonged to a NCO are there other helmet in others collection that are named to help confirm or put to rest this hypothesis?
    Marty
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Named double decal helmets   Named double decal helmets  

Last edited by Tank Destroyer; 01-29-2017 at 08:11 PM.
    Fortune favors the brave 644th td

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Named double decal helmets
    P
    Many

Does anyone have a thought,pictures,helmets,anything to shed light on this? I believe we depend to much on books and other experts(at time I use that term loosely) to shape our thought process and that in turn is cemented in one's mind as fact while in the back of our mind we know that something is amiss.
    Maybe I am the only one that has pondered this question and is the only one that cares, and if that be the case I will pursue it on my own. I would hope pictures of helmets or story's from the past will surface to help educate us.
    Marty

Hi Marty, that's not a train of thought that I would imagine holds much water, if anything those further up the "ladder" would be more likely to adhere to the decal drop regs if they wanted to impress any potential by the book superior. As I said before, some commanders enforced it rigidly, but others, especially front line officers had better things to worry about. I have noticed that there is a larger majority of Luftwaffe DD's around and I guess that's because many were air field personnel and not at the front, after all, the National shield was supposed to be removed because of it's "stand out" appearance! Many helmets simply also had a bread bag strap / band or helmet cover added which simply hid the decal anyway. Leon.

P.S, I have owned over the years 3 named HEER DD'S, 4 named Luftwaffe DD's and none of the were marked to anyone other than privates or just names.

Leon, the majority of DD helmet you have owned were Luftwaffe,that is the kind of insight I am looking for. Maybe it was not enforced but again we still have a maybe. I agree the subject matter is not important to many but it can be a wonderful to to understanding if we can gather more facts.