MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Named heer m40

Article about: I’m looking for help in finding out what happened to the German who owned this helmet. The bullet hole might look bad for the chances at first but I bought it directly from the US veterans

I am curious as to why there is a red painted swastica under the paint on the right side of the helmet. I believe it looks like it was there before the reissue because it’s smooth were it is painted on.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Named heer m40
    P
    Many

The swastika is the wrong way around.

Any chance the family of the veteran can give you any more information about the unit the GI was in? Perhaps you can work out what unit this German was from if you can work out where it was found.

I would guess the Red Painted Swastika came on ther Post-War, it looks like the whole helmet was scrubbed there.

The veterans family did not want to tell me the veterans name. The veterans last name is Tyler and was in North Africa, Sicily, D day , France and Belgium. I bought it in Virginia so I can assume the vet was from Virginia. The vet also died in a car crash in 1959. I hope the information can help in finding were the vet captured the helmet and also help in determining who and what unit Karl was in. Thank you for the input on the swastica and the reply’s, they are greatly appreciated.

I always love a good mystery behind a helmet, and urs is one of them. I dont know if the last provided informations can really help, but i still hope we can find out more about the name on your helmet. I have looked at it for quite some time, and i think he used Gothic letters.

I also think the first letters are really Shults- the interesting fact about that is that there is no Sh in standart german. We only use Sch, but there arent really words with Sh, so it either is a mistake by the soldier, which he never corrected, or it is a local dialect as these where still very much present at that time, while nowadays most germans speak a standerised language, and the old local dialects are dying out, either from inside germany, or from somewhere outside mainland germany.

U could maybe try to focus on these last letters, make Pictures just of them, maybe one time with flash, and without to find out what they are.

I agree that the scratches on the Rim probably mean MAY 4, but i cant make the 5 out u see, it looks more like a seven to me, but i will have anoter look on that.

Named heer m40Named heer m40Named heer m40

This post was an accident.

Thank you Adravor, you make a excellent point in the spelling. I will try to get a picture with flash and without and hopefully that will help in finding the original owners name

Named heer m40Named heer m40Named heer m40Named heer m40Named heer m40Named heer m40
    The liner is a b & c Berlin 1937 if that helps at all

Big find!!!! I was looking at the helmet in the light at an angle and was able to make out the scratches. It says “May 43 bizerte” What I can make out of the scratches after the bullet hole is “KAL” then there is a space and some other stuff. As to what that means I haven’t a clue but hopefully it helps in finding out where the German was and possibly who he was. He are some pictures of the scratches one with the letters filled in by picture editor and one without. Thank you.
    Named heer m40Named heer m40Named heer m40Named heer m40

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast