Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6

Named heer m40

Article about: I’m looking for help in finding out what happened to the German who owned this helmet. The bullet hole might look bad for the chances at first but I bought it directly from the US veterans

?

A very interesting helmet and thread. Amazing! And little by little, we maybe can solve the mistery

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Named heer m40
    P
    Many

Great to hear and thank you for the reply

Two years later… I was thinking about the helmet and got reinvigorated to find out more about the veteran. I went and found the sons Facebook and searched it for “ww2” and boom! I found a article he posted about his dad and using that I searched wwii-enlistment and found the most likely William H. Tyler (based on location given in the article, Suffolk Virginia) the article says “before going into action on the western front, he served in the North Africa, Sicily, Tunisia, and Italian campaigns”

It looks like he was in the third army, 9th division and 47th infantry, which was in North Africa

“In February the 9th had small operations in Tunisia but in late March it launched an attack in Southern Tunisia and drove to Bizerte, located along the coast and a major German held port, arriving 7th of May.” (The helmet may have been captured during the drive to bizerte)

I found an article about the history of the 47th infantry “In February the 9th had small operations in Tunisia but in late March it launched an attack in Southern Tunisia and drove to Bizerte, located along the coast and a major German held port, arriving 7th of May. In August the 9th landed in Palermo, Sicily and after much heavy fighting was in on the capture of Messina. They returned to England for more training and landed on Utah Beach 10th June 1944, 4 days after the D-Day Invasion, also referred to as D plus 4”

Named heer m40Named heer m40Named heer m40Named heer m40

Using ancestry, I was able to confirm the sons story of him passing away in 1959. I even found his death certificate

Named heer m40Named heer m40

MAP
    ?

Sadly he was quite young when he passed. Good detective work.
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

It’s very tragic, I couldn’t imagine losing your father that early in life either

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6