Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

need help on this helmet at a museum

Article about: need some help from the experts here who even might have seen this helmet I posted this picture of a helmet that is in the museum in Moscow on a FB page asking what was it due to the color a

?

Default need help on this helmet at a museum

need some help from the experts here who even might have seen this helmet
    I posted this picture of a helmet that is in the museum in Moscow on a FB page asking what was it due to the color and after I posted it I realized the color was from some kind of light because the hat about it has that color.
    Now im in a argument with with some people saying its fake,its a M42 with a tricolor decal so that proves its fake.
    Does any one know anything about this helmet?
    sorry the picture is sideways.Cant get it to correct

need help on this helmet at a museum
    Last edited by rbminis; 01-17-2021 at 01:31 AM. Reason: Edited to orient photo.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement need help on this helmet at a museum
    P
    Many

Post War repaint so the decals are not period applied and are probably reproductions. The shell does not look like an M42 to me, I think it is an M40. Jim G.

MAP
    ?

While the lighting may have slightly changed the color, the visor you referenced does actually have yellow piping. It is for either a Signals or Cavalry Officer.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped..._copyright.jpg

I agree with Jim on the helmet. Post war. Just because it is in a museum, doesn't automatically make it original. In fact, museums are rife with fake items.
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Color wise , not one seen before. Close ups would help.

?

I took the picture from a video on the museum in Russia.To me it seems odd with all the 3rd reich stuff this museum has it would put up a refurbished helmet on display.Since Im just a novice in this hobby,being wrong is easy to be

Even though this is a museum exhibit, someone who has no knowledge of Third Reich artefacts might have put the display together, hence why there is a strange coloured helmet there.

On the subject of lighting -

Lighting can create the atmosphere of a museum or gallery and it can draw attention to some of the most intriguing items on display there. In a museum, however, light also means damage. Dyes and pigments fade when exposed to light, even at low levels, and the effects are cumulative.

Quote by MAP View Post
    While the lighting may have slightly changed the color, the visor you referenced does actually have yellow piping. It is for either a Signals or Cavalry Officer.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped..._copyright.jpg

I agree with Jim on the helmet. Post war. Just because it is in a museum, doesn't automatically make it original. In fact, museums are rife with fake items.

What book did your link come from if you know?

MAP
    ?

Quote by SimonSorenKam View Post
    What book did your link come from if you know?
    Just google "WW2 German Waffenfarbe". That is how I found the photo. I know I have another example in one of my books, but this is quicker and easier.
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Museums have before and will again display items that are reproductions - sometimes as fillers, sometimes in ignorance.
    Remember that many of their ( paying ) patrons are the "great unwashed" who OOH and AHH at anything resembling originality......
    " I'm putting off procrastination until next week "

?

thanks for the comments.Still would like to find out more about it