Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Need Help. M35 DD lufty, overpaint

Article about: Hi everyone. I came across this M35 DD Luftwaffe with a decent looking liner band still in it. It's advertised on the Dutch version of Ebay. What bothers me is that this helmet apparently wa

Default Need Help. M35 DD lufty, overpaint

Hi everyone.

I came across this M35 DD Luftwaffe with a decent looking liner band still in it. It's advertised on the Dutch version of Ebay.

What bothers me is that this helmet apparently was overpainted at least two times, including once with a strange tan/brown line and the decals are barely visible.

I have some general knowledge of these but I'm by far not expert so i would appreciate it very much if any of you chime in on this one.

Pics are courtesy of the seller.. So the quality is not great.

Thanks in advance for your opionion.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Need Help. M35 DD lufty, overpaint
    P
    Many

An interesting helmet but a shame the images are not in hi res as it’s hard to see more detail. Looks like an original M35 with some original Luftwaffe blue/grey paint remaining on the shell followed buy a rough overpaint. The manufacturers stamp in the rear is odd as it looks like a single “E” with the numbers being 43 OR 48? No idea what is going on with these numbers. The font of the E is similar to that of the E of the EF factory (Emaillerwerke, Fulda). Perhaps a light stamp or fault but being an M35 and not a late war manufacture I would have thought these sorts of issues would be rare. Quite the anomaly.

It does look like the helmet may have received a dark overpaint at some point which the shell being heavily scrubbed post war. Nothing too unusual about it receiving a rough overpaint. You would really need much clearer hi res photos to know what’s going on with this helmet with regards to the green/yellow pain but at the very least it has been messed with a lot post war.

Andy

Quote by AndyM35 View Post
    The manufacturers stamp in the rear is odd as it looks like a single “E” with the numbers being 43 OR 48? No idea what is going on with these numbers. The font of the E is similar to that of the E of the EF factory (Emaillerwerke, Fulda). Perhaps a light stamp or fault but being an M35 and not a late war manufacture I would have thought these sorts of issues would be rare. Quite the anomaly.

Andy
    Andy, the E. prefix is just for the lot number, my guess would be that it's an NS manufactured helmet since they used prefixes like D. and E. for their M35s The manufacturer stamp should be in the usual place.
    Luis

Yes...really crappy pics
    nonetheless that looks to be a nice typical early camo Reichswehr. shell is a NS.
    a honest helmet, a bit better than a relic thus the price should be according to such conditions
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Need Help. M35 DD lufty, overpaint   Need Help. M35 DD lufty, overpaint  

Hi, as rough as the lid is and as poor as the images are,I personally think that this is a good honest helmet that has been heavily scrubbed back, probably recovered fairly recently from a dig site. If the price is right, it is one worth being the custodian of. leon.

Thanks Luis. Yes, I’ve already had that brought to my attention by a friend Up until this point I hadn’t seen many NS helmets and the E prefix. The E looks like the E font used on some EF lids I’d seen. Another little bit of info to store away.

Andy

A really intresting helmet in my eyes, but the pictures were not the best
    For that that the helmet was overpainted postwar the decals were in relative good shape
    IMO the blue colour seem post 1937 and the eagle is not the early one, but it is more visible than on my early one
    Seem unopened too
    The E is typical for the NS M35 E series made to 1939
    This Font was used to 1938 after that the Block scripting was used(correct me please if i am wrong)
    For comparison here my M35 Early
    I like this salty examples
    If you want it, it is a good ex postwar painted DD M35
    BR
    Bavarian
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Need Help. M35 DD lufty, overpaint   Need Help. M35 DD lufty, overpaint  

Need Help. M35 DD lufty, overpaint  
    Last edited by Bavarian; 12-15-2019 at 12:49 PM.

Worth mentioning as an aside that early ET helmets did use this typeface.
    Although as stated not the case here.
    Nick

The Font remembered me at the early fonts of E.F N.S. and E.T
    The font is known as Gothic blockscript