Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

New DD SS helmet for review

Article about: I think this helmet looks good, but what does everyone else see? The guy said that it was his grandfathers bring back. The batch number seems to match up.

Hi, don't waste your time or money, those are very poor fake decals, although if they will steam off the helmet is worth saving. Leon.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement New DD SS helmet for review
    P
    Many

Quote by MAP View Post
    Thanks Jim for confirming my suspicions

That round dimple is a manufacturing flaw. Hence the helmet was not up to combat duty and a bead was added for use as a second line helmet.
    Is it just me or has anyone else noticed that 9 out of 10 beaded helmets seem to be made by Quist? As they are regarded by many as the best manufacturer it just seems odd to me, I'm starting to think they purposely made helmets with beads from low grade steel for non combat use!! Leon.

MAP
    ?

Quote by FALLSCHIRMJAGER View Post
    Is it just me or has anyone else noticed that 9 out of 10 beaded helmets seem to be made by Quist? As they are regarded by many as the best manufacturer it just seems odd to me, I'm starting to think they purposely made helmets with beads from low grade steel for non combat use!! Leon.
    And that is the question. Rejects or made on purpose??

With this helmet, that dimple looks like a flaw thus I would lean towards rejected helmets.
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Quote by MAP View Post
    And that is the question. Rejects or made on purpose??

With this helmet, that dimple looks like a flaw thus I would lean towards rejected helmets.
    Hi Michael, I would guess that lids pressed with low grade steel would be more likely to exhibit obvious flaws anyway, it's just a thought that I've had for a while now as you rarely come across beaded lids by other manufacturers. Maybe Quist just had a very fussy army of inspectors!! Leon.

MAP
    ?

Well...it would be good to find out finally one way or the other and your theory has merit. I know that I've seen other beaded helmets with flaws as well. But could just as well be due to your theory.

BTW - my beaded Luftschutz is a Q

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

The hole in the top might be why the bead was put through.

MAP
    ?

Quote by geelong View Post
    The hole in the top might be why the bead was put through.
    Yes. That is exactly the discussion Leon and I were talking about.

1) Helmet made -> Flaw found -> Rejected -> and Bead added

or

2) Poor lot of steel identified -> Helmet made for non-combat use thus Bead added -> Post production flaw confirms poor lot of steel

We had a big discussion on this about 5 years back......

Types of beaded Luftschutz helmets??
    " I'm putting off procrastination until next week "

MAP
    ?

Quote by Danmark View Post
    We had a big discussion on this about 5 years back......

Types of beaded Luftschutz helmets??
    I remember this thread now. So based on your expertise you would support Leon's view as it would have needed to have been done as part of the original process and not after the quench.

Quote by FALLSCHIRMJAGER View Post
    Hi Leon, I just did a quick tally of my beaded helmets, consisting of all types , including M35, M40 and M42 shells with standard L/S decals, standard DD Police decals, DD Police reverse decal configuration, DD Police with Austrian decals, DD Police with set back decals, a camo'ed one with three HERR Adler decals, a SD example with a subdued Luft Adler, and several no decal examples. There were 8 EF shells, 2 ET shells, 6 Q shells, 5 NS shells, and 1 SE shell. I don't have any with the CKL maker stamp or the hkp maker mark. I don't know if any such examples exist, but I don't recall ever having seen any. I am one who believes that the beaded shells were those deemed unfit for combat due to manufacturing flaws that compromised the ballistic integrity of the shell. CKL was used by ET later in the War, and hkp was formally SE. The fact that I haven't seen any ckl or hkp beaded shells may suggest that quality control standards at those factories were relaxed towards the end of the War and helmets that may not has passed inspection earlier were accepted for combat use - or maybe that I just haven't crossed paths with any. My results aren't at all scientific, just anecdotal, but I will say that with several out of this sample of 22 examples I can easily discern the manufacturing flaws that would make the piece fail a QC inspection. Jim G.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast