Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

No Decal M42 - Chocolate Brown - ckl 62 - Lot # 27(4?)2

Article about: Here's one you don't see too often, a CHOCOLATE BROWN combat helmet. I have only seen a few in all my years of collecting. A close friend is selling off his advanced collection and had 2 suc

Default No Decal M42 - Chocolate Brown - ckl 62 - Lot # 27(4?)2

Here's one you don't see too often, a CHOCOLATE BROWN combat helmet. I have only seen a few in all my years of collecting. A close friend is selling off his advanced collection and had 2 such examples, this one and a second, with a net (!) that I will post in the near future. This one is a ckl62, with a lot number of 27(4?)2, complete with a pig skin liner and chinstrap. The tongues of the size 55 liner are blackened and stiff, burned(?), blood rotted(?), I don't know. The shell is brown inside and out and judging from the finish, I suspect it left the factory this color. The exterior of the shell has quite noticeable "scaling", a condition I have seen far more often on EF shells. I don't know much about metallurgy, but if I recall correctly there is a thread in this forum about scaling, which, I believe, has something to do with the quenching process during the production of the steel sheets used to manufacture the steel shell of the helmet. Many say that these brown helmets where worn by the mid to late War combat units of the FHH. Anyway, here it is. Hope you like it. Jim G.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture No Decal M42 - Chocolate Brown - ckl 62 - Lot # 27(4?)2   No Decal M42 - Chocolate Brown - ckl 62 - Lot # 27(4?)2  

No Decal M42 - Chocolate Brown - ckl 62 - Lot # 27(4?)2   No Decal M42 - Chocolate Brown - ckl 62 - Lot # 27(4?)2  

No Decal M42 - Chocolate Brown - ckl 62 - Lot # 27(4?)2   No Decal M42 - Chocolate Brown - ckl 62 - Lot # 27(4?)2  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement No Decal M42 - Chocolate Brown - ckl 62 - Lot # 27(4?)2
    P
    Many

MAP
    ?

Jim,

I learn something new almost every time you post.

Don't remember ever seeing it hearing about these.

Congrats on the new purchase.
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

M38
    ?

Hi Jim

Interesting helmet. I have one too that I've owned for a few years. I always called it my poor man's FHH. Mine is an hkp64 with batch number 4376. Factory painted brown inside and out just like yours, with no evidence of any other paint underneath.

Cheers,
    Terry

Very interesting helmet, Jim, not one I recall ever having seen before, thanks for showing!
    Can't wait to see the one with the net as well!
    Luis

?

I keep returning to view your great helmet.
    I bought the Brian Ice Ebook "Late War Helmets Of The Third Reich Thale" a while ago and there is a similar one in it.
    I like the ckl dimple in its right cheek,even the rare brown M42 gets one!
    Thanks also for the information on Scaling which I have seen under paint but I had thought was patches of an older paint under another coat.
    Nice to view this rare helmet and compare it with
    progressively rushed and flawed,later war M42'S.

Interesting and rare, as always with your posts Jim.

more a mid war than a late war example, helmets with this lot nr were still receiving decals.
    Interesting helmet , hopefully some day we will know for sure why these are painted the way they are.

Superb! Simply superb, what a rarity! Leon.