Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

NS D487 - possible winter camo?

Article about: Hello Forum, I apologize for posting so many helmets, but i´m trying to learn more about camouflage helmets as i want to buy one as my next helmet, and i want to learn from your experience!

Default NS D487 - possible winter camo?

Hello Forum,

I apologize for posting so many helmets, but i´m trying to learn more about camouflage helmets as i want to buy one as my next helmet, and i want to learn from your experience!

The Helmet is a battledamaged M42 with one damaged that split the helmet partly open, and two dents on the front and the side.
    It was made by NS and has the Lotn. D487, which would make it fall in the ND range.
    There are remenants of a white color all arround the helmet, except on the inside, the places where the paint remains make sense for me and are - if i dont miss anything obvious - no warning sign.

The Liner is badly damaged and has a replaced drawstring, while the chinstrap looks to be in a decent condition.

At a first look i like the color, and the patterns of wear, but in the closeup of the stampings the paint on the inside looks rather bluish, while also having a rough finish which should not be present on the inside of the helmet.

Thank you in advance for all answers, your help and experience is greatly appreciated!

Regards,
    Adravor

NS D487 - possible winter camo?NS D487 - possible winter camo?NS D487 - possible winter camo?NS D487 - possible winter camo?NS D487 - possible winter camo?NS D487 - possible winter camo?NS D487 - possible winter camo?NS D487 - possible winter camo?NS D487 - possible winter camo?NS D487 - possible winter camo?NS D487 - possible winter camo?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement NS D487 - possible winter camo?
    P
    Many

It's possible , it's tan but could be white turned tan. Could also be just tan paint.
    Ex med camo.

That is interesting, so you say it was first tan and then turned white with age? I would have assumed it was the other way arround. What makes you assume its a med camo? I have heard these are in 99% of cases quiet questionable.

Quote by Adravor View Post
    That is interesting, so you say it was first tan and then turned white with age? I would have assumed it was the other way arround. What makes you assume its a med camo? I have heard these are in 99% of cases quiet questionable.
    No I say white turned tan , yellowed so to speak. On the photos I can't see much white , but I am colorblind with some colors but not with white/tan :-)
    Why would a tan mediterranean be questionable ? It's a valid camo scheme for Southern Europe.

I misunderstood you then, i assummed you meant with med - Medic, and i know Medic helmets are quiet questionable. And yes i dont see much white either, thats why "turned white" confused me, as it is indeed rather yellowed. Thanks very much for the clearification, your Opinion is highly appreciated.

Do you assume the camo was removed post war, or are there cases when such a camo could have been removed wartime? I know it is hard to tell in this specific case, but are there period examples of removed camouflage on helmets?

Regards,
    Adravor

Quote by Adravor View Post
    I misunderstood you then, i assummed you meant with med - Medic, and i know Medic helmets are quiet questionable. And yes i dont see much white either, thats why "turned white" confused me, as it is indeed rather yellowed. Thanks very much for the qualification, your Opinion is highly appreciated.

Do you assume the camo was removed post war, or are there cases when such a camo could have been removed wartime? I know it is hard to tell in this specific case, but are there period examples of removed camouflage on helmets?

Regards,
    Adravor
    Yes I think there are period photos were you can see white camo removed from helmets , the same can happen when a unit is moved from South Europe to the North. it does not look post war removed to me.

MAP
    ?

You can certainly see lots of aged patina built up on certain parts of the remaining white/tan paint. This kind of makes it hard to determine from the photos what the original color is for me.
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

An interesting helmet. I would tend to towards tan being the colour layer removed, but agree white can yellow over time.

More information, i asked the seller about the split pins, and supposedly they where removed before. I dont know what i should think about that, but it should certainly show in regards to price. I probably would still buy the helmet, if the price is right, as i like the look of it very much.

You might want to ask the seller why the liner pins were removed. Either way, if you’re keen on this helmet, you can definitely use the pins as a bargaining point.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast