Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Original desert and winter camo helmets?

Article about: Howdy everyone. Here are two helmets I have reserved from a reputable dealer but I still want to double check with you experts. The first is a winter camo SD m42 and the second is a desert c

Default Original desert and winter camo helmets?

Howdy everyone. Here are two helmets I have reserved from a reputable dealer but I still want to double check with you experts. The first is a winter camo SD m42 and the second is a desert camo m35/m40 helmet. Both helmets are solid but I want to double check on the paint before I pay. Thank you all again!
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Original desert and winter camo helmets?   Original desert and winter camo helmets?  

Original desert and winter camo helmets?   Original desert and winter camo helmets?  

Original desert and winter camo helmets?   Original desert and winter camo helmets?  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Original desert and winter camo helmets?
    P
    Many

I'm having issues with the second one - the M35. The liner is odd - the sheepskin leather liners don't usually behave this way when they dry out? Its like a 'presstof' synthetic card liner used in the civil helmets .... I would like Jim, Leon or others to comment. I also think the head on the eagle is not like an ET decal ( which the other features seem to point to it being ) and i am having a job pinning it down . As for the paint, ALL cammos fill me with fear - there are just too many clever artist fakers out there.

Anyway, my opinion only - for what its worth! ( the M42 I'm more comfortable with )

Regards.Dan
    " I'm putting off procrastination until next week "

Thank you for your thoughts. Here are some more pictures of the M35 helmet liner and decal!
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Original desert and winter camo helmets?   Original desert and winter camo helmets?  

The helmets are from Scott Kraska over at bay state militaria and he told me they were checked out by Bill Shae and last I checked bay state was a good site but I wanted to doublecheck.

Just hard to tell looking at photos on a phone early in the morning (here in Australia ). .......

MAP
    ?

My knowledge of decals is based on what I read in my reference books. I am not at the stage where I can firmly state with authority, so these are just my observations...

Looks like with the flush wingtips it is trying to be an ET (SE) style. Here are my observations

1) The eagle head looks more lizard like.
    2) While somewhat similar to some ET type left talons (in blue) it is different enough that I don't recognize it.
    3) The right talon also is different than standard ET stype (in Yellow)
    4) I think I see another decal below the Heer decal. You can see the strip of white peaking out (in light blue). Maybe it is just a misalignment of the backing. But looks like another decal to me.

You can see (in green) that with the application of this decal, much of the black lines have been smudged. Maybe this is the cause of my confusion and has resulted in misshapen talons and eagle head??

I will be more than happy if someone points out that I am wrong.

"Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

What i was concerned about but said more succinctly.... thanks MAP.

Wow that was a really good breakdown I appreciate it. When I saw it I thought maybe there was another decal underneath. Do you think the decal is authentic ww2, and is different because it's on top of another decal or a fake? And what do you think of the paint? Thank you again!

MAP
    ?

Quote by Danmark View Post
    What i was concerned about but said more succinctly.... thanks MAP.
    well it "was" early in the morning...so we will cut you some slack LoL

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

MAP
    ?

Quote by General Patton View Post
    Wow that was a really good breakdown I appreciate it. When I saw it I thought maybe there was another decal underneath. Do you think the decal is authentic ww2, and is different because it's on top of another decal or a fake? And what do you think of the paint? Thank you again!
    My question would be...why put a fake over a real decal.

But take my observations above on the decal as just observations. Let's wait for others with more experience to see if I'm correct or not.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast