Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Paint on m40 helmet

Article about: I posted a question n a previous thread asking the question 'were there m40 helmet produced without decals'. The answer which were few were ' Quist produced m40 with without decals', well th

Default Paint on m40 helmet

I posted a question n a previous thread asking the question 'were there m40 helmet produced without decals'. The answer which were few were ' Quist produced m40 with without decals', well the helmet in question is a SE64. The next answer to that issue is the helmet may be a reissue/repaint. The helmet is here and the paint looks to me as original factory paint. The the liner pins are straight and have not been reused and the liner band is stamped 64n A 56. The chinstrap is unmarked and as green paint which would put the chinstrap in the 43-45 date.
    So the question is the paint original or repaint and the decal was not replaced?
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Paint on m40 helmet   Paint on m40 helmet  

Paint on m40 helmet   Paint on m40 helmet  

Paint on m40 helmet  
    Fortune favors the brave 644th td

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Paint on m40 helmet
    P
    Many

Few more. I think due to lot number it may be late m40 Heers that came out without one.
    Marty
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Paint on m40 helmet   Paint on m40 helmet  

Lot number? As far as I know, a factory green SE M40 should have been either a DD Police or a SD Heer. From the pictures I can't see any indication that there ever was a decal on the right but there are some marks on the left in the area where the WH decal would have been. Maybe the soldier meticulously scraped it off in accordance the 1943 regulation. Check it out under a loop to see if you can see any scrape marks. Anyway, it is a nice, and 100% correct, piece. Jim G.

PS: Your second set of pictures came out while I was drafting my post. I think all SE M40's came out of the factory with decals. SE changed to HKP in 1942, before the 1943 regulation.

Close up on of the sides.
    Jim thanks for the thumbs up. The will check with a the loup tonight.
    Marty

M38
    ?

Nice looking helmet, seems to be all original. Agree though that SE marked shells really should have a decal. If it was reworked in a depot however it could look like professional factory paint. What is the date on the liner band, can you see? That may give you a clue as to whether it is a depot reissue or not.

Can't remember ever seeing a green painted buckle. Most painted buckles are gray.

Cheers,
    Terry

Found the liner date 1940. The liner was tight on that side hard to see.
    Marty

M38
    ?

Thanks for the info. Is it a DRP Schuberthewerk liner? If so, that doesn't help any because they made tons of liners in 1940 and then jumped to 1943 before changing the liner band date. So it could have been refurbished in 1942 or 1943 and a new 1940 dated liner installed. But that is just speculation. we may never know, and really it doesn't matter too much since everything looks kosher as is. Also, as Jim says, the Soldat could have very carefully removed the decal. I think they were easier to remove cleanly at the time because they were "fresher" and probably not melded to the helmet like they are now 70 years later.

Cheers,
    Terry

A great looking helmet and to me it looks as though there are some very tiny remnants of the HEER decal showing as black specks. A great helmet, all correct and un-messed with. I will be interested what you can see from under the loop. Leon.

Terry,
    I was also surprised about the green buckle. It is the first painted one I have ever had. From the little research I have done today it seems that most were gray, but they seem to come it a few more paint colors.
    Marty

MAP
    ?

I don't see traces of a decal, but my eyes ain't the best. But as said by all here, it looks all good. So nice to have a variant in the collection. I like these types.

Sorry didn't get back to you from my original comment on late war Q's....
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast