Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Please help identifying German WW2 Helmet

Article about: Hello, I'm looking for some information about this helmet, and whether it is authentic or not. I purchased the helmet years ago from a militaria auction and was told it is a Kriegsmarine M-3

Default Please help identifying German WW2 Helmet

Hello,

I'm looking for some information about this helmet, and whether it is authentic or not. I purchased the helmet years ago from a militaria auction and was told it is a Kriegsmarine M-35 helmet. I have done some research on my own, but I don't feel qualified to judge if this is authentic or not. Would anyone be able to provide an estimate as to value? Thank you.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Please help identifying German WW2 Helmet   Please help identifying German WW2 Helmet  

Please help identifying German WW2 Helmet   Please help identifying German WW2 Helmet  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Please help identifying German WW2 Helmet
    P
    Many

IMO Looks like a nice original M35 helmet. Decal looks fine to me, however I am not sure whether this is a Kriegsmarine decal, or a toned Heer decal.

Hello and welcome to the forum!
    From what little I know about helmets, it appears to be totally original. Looks to be an SE66 M35 shell, and could very well be a Kriegsmarine helmet.
    Best wait for other opinions from some of our more experienced members though.
    Ralph.
    Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)

The green paint on the bottom of the helmet concerns me. Is it possible that the helmet was repainted? I'm really not an expert about this stuff, but the paint is really the reason I posted it here. It makes me feel like the helmet has been altered/modified.

SE had a contract to produce navy helmets in late 1939-40. They were M35 shells, done to 1940 specs...Textured paint, wartime steel liner bands, and a single navy eagle. Your 49xx lot # puts this in that 39'-40 period. The decal from your pics is somewhat indecernable, but looks the part overall of a navy. Would like better pics of the decal just to really confirm.

It's a really sloppy application, as far as lacquer so I can't even bank on it being a real decal.

The green paint on the bottom means nothing, that's probably just post war abuse. Your tie-string is not original. Other than that...again...would love better pics of decal.

Chances are favorable it is a navy

Quote by real steel View Post
    SE had a contract to produce navy helmets in late 1939-40. They were M35 shells, done to 1940 specs...Textured paint, wartime steel liner bands, and a single navy eagle. Your 49xx lot # puts this in that 39'-40 period. The decal from your pics is somewhat indecernable, but looks the part overall of a navy. Would like better pics of the decal just to really confirm.

It's a really sloppy application, as far as lacquer so I can't even bank on it being a real decal.

The green paint on the bottom means nothing, your tie-string is not original. Other than that...again...would love better pics of decal.

Chances are favorable it is a navy
    Thank you for the information, I have attached more pictures. I hope these can help.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Please help identifying German WW2 Helmet   Please help identifying German WW2 Helmet  

It looks okay as a navy decal applied on a shell from my original post to you.

As far as value, we do not give appraisals here. This is a desirable helmet in the community, but the condition is killing it. Most of that ripped liner is due to post war abuse. That leather was not in that condition in 1945 or whenever it was brought home or found. The chinstrap is missing, overall condition would be deemed "fair" IMO.

If you like, you can PM me & I can refer you to a couple of reputable dealers who could evaluate it for you,

Hi, a shame about the liner, but at least it is original to the helmet, and which as David has already said is a Kriegsmarine Marine example. It's overall condition is a problem for collectors, but it still holds good value. Leon.

I am in the midst of a minor battle with a good helmet buddy of mine. He is thinking heavily toned Heer, due to excessive lacquer. However there are other variables which convince me it is a navy. Will discuss at a later time

Leon, what do you think of it ? You have a good eye

Okay, Ken confirmed with up close pics it is a navy. Where lacquer chipped away, the decal wing is still a gold color.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Please help identifying German WW2 Helmet  
    Last edited by real steel; 08-30-2017 at 12:55 AM.

Definitely KM - I have its twin, an SE 66 SD M35, lot # 4934, smooth paint on the interior and textured paint on the exterior, with a steel liner band, essentially identical to the thread starter. BTW, I did not sand off the paint to see the maker/size and lot # stamps, it was like that when I bought the piece. Cheers, Jim G.

Please help identifying German WW2 Helmet   Please help identifying German WW2 Helmet  

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast