Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here

Please help!! Need to know if authentic german police helmet

Article about: Hello, I would appreciate any help. I need to know if this is an authentic German Police helmet asap. I got it on Ebay for \\$200 with the ability to return it if not satisfied. I am suspect a

Default Please help!! Need to know if authentic german police helmet

Hello, I would appreciate any help. I need to know if this is an authentic German Police helmet asap. I got it on Ebay for $200 with the ability to return it if not satisfied. I am suspect about the left side decal especially.
    Is it authentic? How about the helmet?
    How about the right side decal?
    Thanks for your anticipated help.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Please help!!  Need to know if authentic german police helmet   Please help!!  Need to know if authentic german police helmet  

Please help!!  Need to know if authentic german police helmet   Please help!!  Need to know if authentic german police helmet  

Please help!!  Need to know if authentic german police helmet   Please help!!  Need to know if authentic german police helmet  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Please help!!  Need to know if authentic german police helmet
    P
    Many

Default Re: Please help!! Need to know if authentic german police helmet

The other question I have, is assuming the red one is real and the eagle is fake, do I keep it since I only paid $200 and remove the fake eagle?

Hi,
    I may be wrong but it reminds me of a german fire helmet, and the decals are both fake, But perhaps others will know better.
    dave.

How can you tell the decals are fake?

Hi,
    Its a M34 Fire Police helmet (Feuerschutzpolizei).
    The five leather tags off the liner are for a leather neck protecter.
    They were made post war as well. Is there a makers mark on the inside rim?
    The eagle looks dodgy and the black background looks different from the helmet colour.
    Original should look like this.
    Cheers Terry
    Please help!!  Need to know if authentic german police helmetPlease help!!  Need to know if authentic german police helmet

Not a fan of the decals. The Police decal is supposed to be a bordered decal, but on original bordered examples, there is a black edge on the outside of the white "border" of uniform thickness about as wide as the white border itself. On this one, it appears that the decal ends at the white border, and was trimmed unevenly (look at the bottom edge of the decal) - originals were not trimmed to the white edge. Also, there is nothing in the circular field behind the swastika, in originals there is some color. l think the bird is fake, and I don't like the party shield either. I would steer clear of this one and buy a one looker - they are common and not much money. Jim G.

?

The decals are reproductions.

What is a one looker?
    BTW I am going to send it back. I appreciate the input. I suspected all along that the Eagle decal was fake based on my own comparsions but I am not an expert.
    It is tough to get an authentic WWII helmet without getting ripped off these days since there are so many fakes out there. This guy was not trying to rip me off, in fact he agree to take it back. I think he unfortunately got stuck on the purchase.

[QUOTE=anton67;224143]What is a one looker?

It is an expression used by some to mean that you simply have to look at an item one time to know that it is real. This one certainly is not a "one looker", as you said in your initial post. You had good instinct about the police eagle. The fake Party shield on this one is a little harder for a newer collector to detect. It is important to study up before paying money for helmets, because, as you also said, there are many out there whose only desire is to rip you off. Good luck with the return. I would recommend that you pick up a few reference books to study before taking the chance of buying anther fake in the future, and always feel free to post a potential purchase on the forum before pulling the trigger. You shouldn't just rely on the input from fellow forum members however, it is really up to you to study and learn to avoid making big mistakes in the future. Cheers, Jim G.

Thank you Jim for the good advice.