Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Polizei M40 DD, SE64 with weird paint

Article about: Gentlemen, To start the new year off I would appreciate some opinions on this oddly-painted Polizei M40. For the most part it seems to me a decent Polizei double-decal, with proper SE-style

?

Default Polizei M40 DD, SE64 with weird paint

Gentlemen,

To start the new year off I would appreciate some opinions on this oddly-painted Polizei M40. For the most part it seems to me a decent Polizei double-decal, with proper SE-style bordered decal/party shield and liner/chin-strap, matching wear etc.

What is odd is the 'two-tone' paint scheme: the helmet's upper half has a green finish reminiscent of the early smooth finishes one sees on M35s, while the skirt and visor are painted black. The border between the two finishes is noticeably lighter in tone; and the green finish can be seen peaking out from under the black where it has worn away. The only explanation given in the advert is that this '[indicates] probably a leading rank or duty'. This brought to mind the white stripes/squares sometimes seen on the rear of combat helmets, which got me thinking about something similar for the police, but such is mere supposition.

Can anyone shed light on this little mystery? Or is this just a messed-with helmet I'm overthinking?

Sorry for the poor photos, they're what the dealer has given us to work with...

Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Polizei M40 DD, SE64 with weird paint  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Polizei M40 DD, SE64 with weird paint
    P
    Many

I've seen a lot of police helmets over the years and can't say I've ever seen a two tone helmet. In Franks data base there are four other DD Police listed with the same lot number which show a few variations in conditions and colors but nothing like what you have. I hope Frank doesn't mind me stealing some of his very hard work to post here!

M40 6386 SE 64 DD Polizei steel liner smooth green paint - bordered eagle 99% small scratch above left wing and minor application error - party shield 99% superficial horizontal scratch over the width of the decal,small oval damage in the white area - tan leather - white painted name (and unit?)
    M40 6386 SE 64 DD Polizei steel liner 1940 smooth light green paint - eagle 98% (scratch through left wing) - party shield 95% (oxidation spots) - brown leather (treated) - 56 written on leather
    M40 6386 SE 64 DD Polizei steel liner salty helmet - eagle decal seriously covered with oxidation spots - party shield 90% (small scratch upper left corner and a spot on swastika leg) - brown leather
    M40 6386 SE 64 DD Polizei steel liner Eagle 97% (scratch just below the break on the right) – Party shield 97% (spots around the break on the right side and in the top right corner) – brown leather , writing on the leather , one tongue torn

?

No-one else want to chime in? I'm probably going to pass on it tbh - too weird - but thought it looked interesting enough to ask for opinions.

MAP
    ?

I guess we can speculate all day but never really know the who, what, why, when, where.....

I don't see this being war time IMO. So I would pass if it was me.
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

?

Quote by MAP View Post
    I guess we can speculate all day but never really know the who, what, why, when, where.....

I don't see this being war time IMO. So I would pass if it was me.
    For sure. I just thought I would post in case I was missing something - in case it was some kind of special paint-scheme applied in certain circumstances etc. I figured if anyone would know it would be the gentlemen here.

Very interesting in any case. Really wondering about the two-tone and why it was done. If the price is right, I would have picked it up. just for its uniqueness. The decals look very much in order to me.

MAP
    ?

Quote by Fiore View Post
    For sure. I just thought I would post in case I was missing something - in case it was some kind of special paint-scheme applied in certain circumstances etc. I figured if anyone would know it would be the gentlemen here.
    Of course. Wise to post it. My views are just opinions and happy if others disagree or can hopefully provide some more definitive explanation
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

?

Quote by TrajanLaszlo51 View Post
    Very interesting in any case. Really wondering about the two-tone and why it was done. If the price is right, I would have picked it up. just for its uniqueness. The decals look very much in order to me.
    The price was not right Not for something so strange anyway.