Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Q64 M40 Possible Heer SD?

Article about: This one has come up for sale near me for \\$350, but I wanted some more opinions on if it is worth pulling the trigger on it. I cannot quite make out form the pictures of either the decal has

Default Q64 M40 Possible Heer SD?

This one has come up for sale near me for $350, but I wanted some more opinions on if it is worth pulling the trigger on it. I cannot quite make out form the pictures of either the decal has been removed or painted over.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Q64 M40 Possible Heer SD?   Q64 M40 Possible Heer SD?  

Q64 M40 Possible Heer SD?   Q64 M40 Possible Heer SD?  

Q64 M40 Possible Heer SD?  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Q64 M40 Possible Heer SD?
    P
    Many

Looks from the pictures of a wartime repaint of the helmet, this was common to cut down on the shine of the earlier paint....the decal could well have been overpainted but generally you can see the decal underneath when this has been done (through age and cracking of the paint).

This looks like it has had the decal removed, worth the $350 you are paying for a non decalled M40 helmet

Dave

Quote by SS soldat View Post
    Looks from the pictures of a wartime repaint of the helmet, this was common to cut down on the shine of the earlier paint....the decal could well have been overpainted but generally you can see the decal underneath when this has been done (through age and cracking of the paint).

This looks like it has had the decal removed, worth the $350 you are paying for a non decalled M40 helmet

Dave
    The overpaint you describe only makes sense for M35 which had the soft glossy paint , M40’s have textured paint and are rarely repainted.
    This helmet clearly has a post WW2 overpaint and post WW2 leather.

Yup, the paint isn't original and neither is the leather, I'd say the liner band is probably original but the chinstrap is most likely also fake.
    Luis

Thank you for the speedy responses gents, I will avoid this one.

I have found a similarly priced (€375) helmet from a reputable dealer, but would like an honest opinion from the forum - the details on the site are a little off (lot number is mislabelled compared to the stamping. The stamping on the helmet correspond with what is shown (going by Brian Ice’s lot number list).

The helmet is a NS62 m42 SD Luftwaffe - lot number 1761

Personally I couldn’t tell if it was a little too clean - but being new in the collecting area, any opinions are greatly appreciated.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Q64 M40 Possible Heer SD?   Q64 M40 Possible Heer SD?  

Quote by kurbyDK View Post
    I have found a similarly priced (€375) helmet from a reputable dealer, but would like an honest opinion from the forum - the details on the site are a little off (lot number is mislabelled compared to the stamping. The stamping on the helmet correspond with what is shown (going by Brian Ice’s lot number list).

The helmet is a NS62 m42 SD Luftwaffe - lot number 1761

Personally I couldn’t tell if it was a little too clean - but being new in the collecting area, any opinions are greatly appreciated.
    The eagle is fake , what reputeable dealer are you looking at ?

It’s Military Antiques Stockholm, I went with “reputable” due to looking on various forums and seeing nothing particularly negative about them.

Quote by kurbyDK View Post
    It’s Military Antiques Stockholm, I went with “reputable” due to looking on various forums and seeing nothing particularly negative about them.
    Well it's good that you posted it first ;-)