Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here

Question Re, DDR Helmet Manufacturing

Article about: Hello Gents, Regarding the making of the M54/65 DDR helmets, I read that most were made using the Deep Draw, multi step slow stamping method. But in order to strengthen the shell's weak poin

iac
    ?

Default Question Re, DDR Helmet Manufacturing

Hello Gents, Regarding the making of the M54/65 DDR helmets, I read that most were made using the Deep Draw, multi step slow stamping method.
    But in order to strengthen the shell's weak point , the very top, manufacture of the last model was switched to the Fließdruck (flow pressure or flow molding) method.
    Does anyone know what this Flueßdruck method is ?
    Thanks, IAC.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Question Re, DDR Helmet Manufacturing
    P
    Many

This might be a better question for the Nationale Volksarmee section of the forum.

?

I looked at this yesterday and couldn’t come up with anything conclusive.

Firstly, I’m not familiar with the helmet designation of M54, there was an early version of a DDR helmet but that was phased out with the M56 so an M54/66 is an odd one.

The manufacturing process I’m a bit more familiar with. Deep draw as you say is, for helmets, is a multi-step process from blank to helmet, normally done cold at high force, that why the multiple steps are needed because in one shot it would split, but it is the cheapest way.

You can see in this video the machinery is a mechanical force applied, not pressure regulated.
    Very rare footage of a German helmets manufacturing factory during World War II - Stock Video Footage - Dissolve

Direct translations of Fließdruck is ‘flow pressure’ which doesn’t conform to any English forming term and when I put those terms in a translation engine the German was different.

Pressure forming is predominantly for plastics (if you are referencing the plastic version of the helmet then it may be relevant). I can't see this process being used on metal. Eye candy below.

My guess is that, at some point in the process they added hydraulic pressure regulated step that controlled the former as it pushed down increasing the pressure the deeper it went into the die, this would be slower but limit the shock that creates a change in mechanical properties.

Steve

iac
    ?

Thanks Gents, I meant 54/56, but my fingers hit the wrong button too oftwn.
    @Tin, your idea sounds good. More control was added to keep the helmet's top from being drawn too thin. Thanks, IAC.

iac
    ?

Btw, @ ~ 5 sec. on the video.
    I hope that's mere soapy water that they were plunging their bare hands into !