Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here

Relic German Helmet

Article about: Hello everyone! This is a M40 helmet I found online from Ukraine. According to the owner is dug out near the city of Kharkov, Ukraine and probably they tried to restore it I don't know for s

Default Relic German Helmet

Relic German Helmet
    Relic German Helmet
    Hello everyone! This is a M40 helmet I found online from Ukraine. According to the owner is dug out near the city of Kharkov, Ukraine and probably they tried to restore it I don't know for sure, note one of ventilation holes is closed (probably from "restoration"?).Also, the top left photo there is a number (lot number?) and the right photo if you look closer there is an E(probably ET?)

I need your help if the helmet is original(black color is used in parades not in combat as far i know) and id the lot number, how much damage they made by trying to restore it and what is best to do, leave as it is or restore it?

Ps. I'm against restoring historical artifacts if its original condition etc...

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Relic German Helmet
    P
    Many

Looks like it used to be marked SE and not ET.
    The black paint of course is not original as it is clearly present in the pitting holes.
    As it is it doesn't really have any historic value, it's been cleaned and painted and then they sanded down the spots where the markings are.
    So at this stage, proceed at your own desire, there isn't anything left to ruin.
    You can carefully have a look at the black paint and see if any original paint it beneath but I doubt there will be any.
    Luis

Thank you very much for your reply!! If you had to choose what you would do?

To me, this helmet looks so ruined, that I'd (personally) restore it, or send it to someone who knows how too. This needs Bondo, and a lot of it by the looks of it. Like Potato Digger said, there ain't anything left to ruin.

If you wish, you could attempt to remove the modern black paint with acetone or paint stripper, and then soak it for several days in tea. A lot of tea. You will prevent it from rusting, and might make a brown patina on it, but that usually happens when rust is present usually. I'm not sure what it would do on this particular piece, but It wouldn't hurt it.

As others have said, leave it or restores it.

But I agree with RustyRelics, I’d restore it too.