Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

SD Heer - M40 - Period Black Overpaint

Article about: I was thinking about an old friend who was a forum member whom some of you may remember, Jules L. He was a life long collector who just loved the hobby. He passed away a few years ago and th

Default SD Heer - M40 - Period Black Overpaint

I was thinking about an old friend who was a forum member whom some of you may remember, Jules L. He was a life long collector who just loved the hobby. He passed away a few years ago and those of us who knew him miss him a lot. Anyway, maybe 10 years old ago I traded a relic FHH to him for this helmet and a few others. I pulled it out this AM and decided to post it (I may have posted it a few years ago but I don’t recall). It is an M40 Heer, with clearly period applied black paint. I have a few black Lufts which are thought to have been worn by flak units, but this is my only black Heer. I don’t know why they painted this one black. Jules had a theory but for the life of me I just don’t remember who he thought wore these. Anyway, this one has a zinc liner and the leather is heavily sweat stained from wear and a bit dry. There is only a remnant of the strap. I think it is an EF64 but the maker/size stamp was so lightly struck I can’t make it out. The lot number is also hard to make out so I will just post a picture. Well, here it is, hope you like it. Miss you Jules. Jim G.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture SD Heer - M40 - Period Black Overpaint   SD Heer - M40 - Period Black Overpaint  

SD Heer - M40 - Period Black Overpaint   SD Heer - M40 - Period Black Overpaint  

Last edited by helmet2id; 05-16-2020 at 11:25 PM.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement SD Heer - M40 - Period Black Overpaint
    P
    Many

Here are the rest of the photos.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture SD Heer - M40 - Period Black Overpaint   SD Heer - M40 - Period Black Overpaint  

One more of the decal.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture SD Heer - M40 - Period Black Overpaint  

Nice helmet, Jim!
    I wonder why these black ones exist, I really have no clue haha
    My guess is it might be an SE, their maker stamps in early M40's are also often a bit on the weaker side, and with the line in the rolled edge and the lot number stamping I'd also guess SE.
    At least the EF's I've had never had the line in their rolled edge, could be wrong, though.
    Luis

Thanks for the input Luis! Jim G.

MAP
    ?

Nice one Jim. I see no problems with this one.

Jules of course had a theory for anything and everything LoL...more often than not, he was probably correct. He certainly loved teasing out the history of every helmet he owned.

Nice to see another "blackie" Heer (I have one with black overpaint that looks like the oil based paint was diluted with some type of paint thinner.
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

?

Great looking Helm,
    I can't tell from the pic's. But does it have a undercoat of a different color?
    Since Mr. Jules passed away and took that theory with him.

What do you Helmet Guy's think about the black paint??
    You all know how I love Theories

It seems that being black most would think SS. But with a Heer decal, it must have an interesting use.

Just trying to learn something here.

Semper Fi
    Phil

I love these non textbook helmets. The Germans painted their helmets in all sorts of colors. Think of NSKK , Kriegsmarine , Bahnschutz , RAD , ...
    Maybe this was owned by a Bahnschutz soldier.

I really like this one Jim as it’s something different. From the small amount of discussion that I’ve been able to find about these black painted Heer helmets most suggest they were most likely also used by Flak crews.

?

I was wondering about FLAK crew when It was mentioned above, But I thought FLAK was a Luftwaffe job and not a Heer . Yes - No??

Semper Fi
    Phil

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast