Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

SD LW M40 for review?

Article about: Hey everyone, Recently posted a DD LW up for discussion but decided against getting it I think, a fellow young collector has offered me this however, and I'm interested, it is a nice Single

Default SD LW M40 for review?

Hey everyone,
    Recently posted a DD LW up for discussion but decided against getting it I think, a fellow young collector has offered me this however, and I'm interested, it is a nice Single Decal M40 Luftwaffe helmet with a low lot number of 260, size is 68 and it is an ET. I personally believe the liner was replaced possibly at some point but I don't doubt its authenticity, just its originality to the helmet, possibly replaced war time, who knows, but that's just my opinion, could be wrong . It's a little beat up on the surface, no damage just Rust, but nothing worrying, and i personally think it's a nice one looker! I've used what little I know of German helmets to look at this, and while I'm not completely knowledgeable, I think its 100% good all over, just wanted other opinions!
    This will be my 2nd Helmet I will own if i decide to purchase it and hopefully the 2nd in a successful future helmet collection!

Kindest Regards,
    Harvey
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture SD LW M40 for review?   SD LW M40 for review?  

SD LW M40 for review?   SD LW M40 for review?  

SD LW M40 for review?  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement SD LW M40 for review?
    P
    Many

Looks like a reissue and I believe the liner is good, possible replacement at the time of reissue. I would like to see the pins to confirm.
    Marty
    Fortune favors the brave 644th td

MAP
    ?

What makes you think the liner was replaced? Are the split pins bent? Also, it is not hard to swap out just the leather. I personally have a hard time telling if done post war or war time. But the liner looks to have some nice wear to it.

I'm looking at this from my tiny old cell phone so there is a lot I can't see. But on the surface it looks good.

Not commenting on the decal. Will leave that to others more experienced than myself.

Also, who untied the string?
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Thank you TD and MAP! Only though the liner was replaced because of condition, looked good, but on closer inspection, as you say, it looks good, apologies for the mistake
    Not sure who untied the string mate!

Right, I've just been told by the seller that he untied the string to get better photos of the dome of the helmet, in the 9th pic where you see his hand thats when he untied it

MAP
    ?

Not the end of the world but he should have left it as is. If you purchase it, try to tie it in the same place as it was originally
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Ok buddy, i'll have a go if i do!

Open to more opinions! The more the better, and I'll learn more from it!

M38
    ?

Not a bad looking helmet. Liner could be replaced as suggested but you will need to look at the bends on the rivets, that may give you a clue. I can not help but wonder about the decal however? The picture of that is the worst picture of the whole bunch and is so shiny you can not tell much. I enlarged it and it seems there is not much detail to the eagle but with so much damage and flaking to the decal it is hard to tell if it is a real one. Also wonder why so much decal damage when the rest of the helmet is not very worn? Not saying it is bad, just saying be careful and know what you are getting. Much better picture of the decal is needed before I'd feel comfortable giving this a thumbs up.

Cheers,
    Terry

Hi, looks ok to me, I think this may have been a winter white washed helmet that has been "scrubbed back" as I think I can see remnants of the white paint around the rivets. That would explain the decal damage. What I cannot explain however is why the helmet M42 helmet next to it in the third picture has a National Shield adorning it! Leon.

EDIT: Is the M42 looking helmet actually a period child's toy?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast