Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

SD M40 With added Band

Article about: Hello gentlemen I would like to hear opinions on this helmet. Does this band look original to the helmet? And is the helmet overall okay? I really love the look of this one and the price isn

Default SD M40 With added Band

Hello gentlemen I would like to hear opinions on this helmet. Does this band look original to the helmet? And is the helmet overall okay?

I really love the look of this one and the price isn’t bad, I should be saving for sos but wouldn’t want to miss a nice helmet at a good price.

Many thanks for any help it is always massively appreciated.

-Bodhi

SD M40 With added BandSD M40 With added BandSD M40 With added BandSD M40 With added BandSD M40 With added BandSD M40 With added BandSD M40 With added BandSD M40 With added BandSD M40 With added BandSD M40 With added Band

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement SD M40 With added Band
    P
    Many

The band is a strap that is used to seal an ammo battle pack. I've seen many of the bands, never seen one around a helmet but I guess it's possible.

I had to dig a photo out. The battle pack below this helmet, notice the band that binds the pack together. The buckle is under one end of the battle pack.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture SD M40 With added Band  

Thank you that’s very interesting, I wasnt aware that’s what it came from. I suppose it makes sense as something that would be laying around and easy to add.

Beautiful helmet by the way

Quote by BodhiEtheridge View Post
    Thank you that’s very interesting, I wasnt aware that’s what it came from. I suppose it makes sense as something that would be laying around and easy to add.

Beautiful helmet by the way
    Thanks for the comment on the helmet. I keep all kinds of stuff for props with photos. I would never shoot any of the ammo but have a lot of it. I'm sure it would still fire fine it's really loaded hot and dirty with corrosive primers.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture SD M40 With added Band   SD M40 With added Band  

Of course, I’ve also got some of the ammo, no battle packs just a bunch of boxes. I know a few guys that shoot it but not often and I personally dont/wouldn’t.

By all means, get that helmet. All looks good to me. I would not touch that improvised band - looks like a totally authentic addition. It really is a clever use of a discarded item. Neil

You are going to need to save a lot, if you are buying at the SoS! I am guessing it is going to be very expensive this year.

This is a nice helmet.

MAP
    ?

Who is the maker of the helmet? Is it a Q?

So far it looks OK. No definitive way to say for sure if the band is original but I'm not seeing any immediate red flags.
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

It's always tricky business trying to find out if a band is original to a helmet. To echo what Logictox said, I've never seen an ammo battle pack strap used like this before. Bread bag straps and inner tubes? Most definitely. I'm curious as to whether or not the strap has left an imprint or outline on the surface of the helmet. If it's been there since the war I'd expect something like that to happen. But it's not something you can really get a good look at until its in hand. Ehh.. I say go with your gut on this one. We all know a good deal of jury rigging took place in the field. I can certainly see a German soldier utilizing something like this for a makeshift foliage holder.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast