Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

SD M42 NS68...... Big Bertha!

Article about: While re-photographing some of my helmets recently, I pulled out this behemoth sized NS68 SD M42 which I have had in the collection for a few years. The helmet is fitted with a well used nin

EXCELLENT! Lot#3094?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement SD M42 NS68...... Big Bertha!
    P
    Many

Quote by janjanjan View Post
    my grandfather had a monumental head
    gregM
    Live to ride -- Ride to live

I was addicted to the "Hokey-Pokey" but I've turned
    myself around.

Hello Andy, I'm doing research on my grandfather's Kriegsmarine service and the rest of his 9 brothers (7 in the Kriegsmarine, 2 in the Luftwaffe, 1 in the Heer, all in the Wehrmacht, grandma too but that's for another thread).

My grandfather was Hans-Günther Holtschmit, a Naval Intelligence Officer (Marine Nachrichten Offizier and 1. Funkoffizier). He was in in the Deutschland-Lutzow for the Norway Campaign, spent many years resupplying U-Boats in the Atlantic, among other things.

I would love to know more about how you came across this Stahlhelm and if there are any additional details you can share regarding it.

P.s. my grandfather had a monumental head
    Hello Jan,

I purchased the helmet from Ken at German Helmets Inc in 2019 and then sold it to helmet collecting friend who lives in Germany in 2023. I was pleased to see it go back. Unfortunately I don’t have any further information but I recall someone saying that the family name HoltSchmit was not too common. Here are some additional photos taken last year when it arrived back in Germany - I’m sure my friend won’t mind me sharing these. He found that the family name was written under the leather liner as well, something I hadn’t seen as I didn’t want to undo the liner string. As a helmet it certainly looked service used and weighed noticeably more than most of the others in my collection.

Andy
    SD M42 NS68...... Big Bertha!SD M42 NS68...... Big Bertha!SD M42 NS68...... Big Bertha!SD M42 NS68...... Big Bertha!SD M42 NS68...... Big Bertha!SD M42 NS68...... Big Bertha!SD M42 NS68...... Big Bertha!

And a picture of Gertrude when she was a puppy to give some scale.

Great looking lid, and massive!

I bet his squadmates nicknamed him "großkopf"

Thank you for sharing the story Andy!

It's not the most common last name (100 something living in Germany, mostly distant family but from the same tree). Chances are the helmet was worn by one of my great-uncles or my grandfather, but I'm glad it found a good home.

Thank you for sharing the story Andy!

It's not the most common last name (100 something living in Germany, mostly distant family but from the same tree). Chances are the helmet was worn by one of my great-uncles or my grandfather, but I'm glad it found a good home.
    Next time I’m speaking with my friend I’ll ask him if has been able to find any further information.

What a great helmet! The only size that would fit me as well! Definitely not common, as I even have a hard time finding regular hats to wear.

-Pete

Quote by helmet2id View Post
    EXCELLENT! Lot#3094?
    Thanks Jim!

Hard to tell. I don’t have it any longer unfortunately but found an old photo. I was thinking 3091 or 81? Back in 2019 when I first posted it, it was suggested as 3094 by another forum member.

MAP
    ?

It's 3094 to me.

I'm assuming Jim has a 3094 as well??
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2