Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Steel Helmet M42

Article about: Thank you for your opinion.

?

Default Steel Helmet M42

Thank you for your opinion.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Steel Helmet M42   Steel Helmet M42  

Steel Helmet M42   Steel Helmet M42  

Steel Helmet M42  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Steel Helmet M42
    P
    Many

Could just be the photos, but the colour looks a little off and not dissimilar to a post WW2 Norwegian re-issue paint. Liner looks OK based on the photos. I think perhaps some clearer outside photos in natural light with a decal closeup and closeup of the right side (trying to work out what marks/remnants are on the right side…a Norwegian decal?? ), and also lot number would give a clearer picture of what’s going on. The lot number should be stamped inside the rear skirt.

Andy

?

Thank you - more pictures:
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Steel Helmet M42   Steel Helmet M42  

Steel Helmet M42   Steel Helmet M42  

Thanks for the additional photos. The shell was manufactured by Deutsche Nickelwerke (NS). The paint still has that Norwegian colour to it, to my eyes, so I’m thinking this one was repainted post WW2 by the Norwegian army and re-used. Being an M42 it should not have national flag decal which is another red flag. So looks like someone has slapped that on and the Heer decal as well. In some places you can still see the WW2 paint showing through and it may still retain it in the dome. The liner and strap look OK these photos. Not sure if there was ever a Norwegian decal on it but as shame if there was and it was removed as Norwegian reissues are becoming more collectable as time goes by.

But wait to see what the other guys have to say.

Andy

I agree a post war , probably Norwegian repaint with fake decal. The paint and the dome stamp under the leather still are WW2 authentic as is the liner and probably the chinstrap.

MAP
    ?

I agree with Andy and Frank. Very odd color. Could be Norwegian as they suggest. If you can get that decal off without impacting the rest of the helmet it will be a nice postwar Norwegian example.
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

It is very unlikely it is a Norwegian Reissue, because of following Points:

The norwegian repainted usually the whole shell, in a different, smooth green color then this one.
    Before doing that, they usually stripped the whole shell, leaving nothing of the OG paint (There are exceptions to this.)
    They applied Norwegian Decals, and there is no trace of them here.
    They usually redyed and refreshened the liner, i see very few Norwegian Reissues without this characteristic.

In my opinion this could simply be an original, field repainted helmet that had fake decals applied. I see very little indication of it being a Norwegian Reissue and i would like to know why the others assume that? I would also know why you assume the overpaint is Post War - it shows use, patina and is a color i have seen with WW2 shells, moreso the liner wasnt removed for repainting - as it should be with field repaints.

Here is a Norwegian Reissue:

Steel Helmet M42

If you own this helmet, i would advise you to peel of what remains of the decals and keep the remaining helmet as is.

The big paint run on the back of the helmet is not something I'd expect from a Norwegian refurbished example. A dome stamp is also not something I've seen on them either. It's definitely been fiddled with, hope the prices reflects this.

?

Thank you very much ;-)

Would be nice to see outside photos are originally suggested as inside can really throw the colour off. Don’t study Norwegian re-issues but from what I’ve seen they do come in a variety of configurations etc. most appear to have died leather and fully repainted while some don’t. Not sure what time frame they were refitted/repainted over, so could be some variation. Below is a helmet with a darker paint and large paint runs. Appears to have only been painted to the liner band. Can’t tell 100% from the photos and outside daylight picture always give a more realistic understanding of the true colour.
    Norwegian Reissue M35

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast