Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here

Tan M35(?) in local antique shop

Article about: Good day all! I have a quick question regarding a helmet I found at the antique place down the road from me and I'm not sure if it's entirely genuine before I drop 400 on it when there's bil

Default Tan M35(?) in local antique shop

Good day all! I have a quick question regarding a helmet I found at the antique place down the road from me and I'm not sure if it's entirely genuine before I drop 400 on it when there's bills to pay. I did the smell test and didn't smell anything and the rolled metal seemed fine, but if I still have doubt in my mind due to not having a Stalhelm in my collection that I can refer too, along with "rose" tan being a "rarer" camo from what i've seen. I have the photos below and I apologize for the pictures not being the best quality, I had to somewhat sneak these photos in store on my phone. Any and all advice/ opinions are welcome so I know exactly what to keep an eye out for in the future. If theres something that should be obvious please let me know for future purchases. Tan M35(?) in local antique shopTan M35(?) in local antique shopTan M35(?) in local antique shopTan M35(?) in local antique shopTan M35(?) in local antique shopTan M35(?) in local antique shop

Thanks!

Spectrum

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Tan M35(?) in local antique shop
    P
    Many

MAP
    ?

Photos are pretty poor. Not very clear and focused but from what I can see I'm not getting a good vibe from the sudfront paint but I would need better photos.

That said, I don't like that the split pins have no camo on them and look to have been replaced. Almost looks like the helmet was painted with the liner and split pins out.

Did you remember if the liner band was aluminum or steel? Looks Steel (although with square bales) from this photo which would be wrong for an M35 unless it was a reissue. Were you able to tell if there were any decals under the paint?

If an original camo you would be paying 4x's that amount.

If the seller doesn't want you taking photos.....then he doesn't stand by his product. Any reputable dealer should be more than happy for the helmet to be vetted. It's like having your own mechanic check out a used car before you buy it!
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Thank you for the reply. I don't remember seeing any deals underneath though. As for the liner it was aluminum from the look and feel of it. The dealer was a bit squirrely and was quick to make a deal. He gave me a good deal on a low tier starter US M1 in the past so I was hoping this would be a similar case. The liner was steel if I remember correctly but was sorta oxidized. Doing a bit more research on my own, I realized the slope of the helmet is too shallow for an m35 and too flat on the bottom. I apologize if these are rookie mistakes and replies, I'm still trying to learn how to identify these in the wild so I don't need to second guess myself or accidently get burned. Would you have any tips on identifying real versus fakes?

"squirrely" and "seemed quick to make a deal" .... two expressions that give seasoned collectors chills!

And don't be too put off by the shape - which is dependent on the manufacturer - study the output of the factories and you will see the subtle differences even in a M35.
    " I'm putting off procrastination until next week "

MAP
    ?

We all have to start somewhere so nothing wrong with being a Rookie. None of us started as an expert!

The shell is original, the liner is original but whether they were originally together is unknown. We would need much better photos.

My view is that the camo is not original and the liner was replaced. But better photos will confirm. Maybe others can be more sure based on these photos.
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

From what I see online, Original Shells and Liners are going for around $150 each these days, and Original Chinstraps are selling at $100 Minimum...Just something to consider even if it is a repainted/restored helmet...
    -Glenn-

The inside paint and Liner are clearly Original, the ouside is... questionable. But i have a somewhat good feeling about it personally.