Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Testing myself on this suspect M42

Article about: I have been studying helmets hard these last few weeks and I have chosen this one to test my knowledge. If I have got any of this wrong it would be great if someone who knows more than me co

Default Testing myself on this suspect M42

I have been studying helmets hard these last few weeks and I have chosen this one to test my knowledge. If I have got any of this wrong it would be great if someone who knows more than me could put me right...OK. What we have here, in my opinion, is a relic M42 shell with fake decals, both National shield and Heer Eagle, with a possibly original chinstrap and a suspect liner (wrong size?, leather too thin?) which have been knocked together to make a supposedly original complete Heer M42. Am I right?
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Testing myself on this suspect M42   Testing myself on this suspect M42  

Testing myself on this suspect M42   Testing myself on this suspect M42  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Testing myself on this suspect M42
    P
    Many

Default Re: Testing myself on this suspect M42

Hi Jim, you are getting there and this is a good way to learn. People are often reluctant to post their own observations, which is a pity. OK, in addition to what you have stated:

The easy giveaway is that there is no such thing as a double decal Heer M42.

Chinstrap is also fake.

Cheers, Ade.

Of course! The national shield decals were discontinued as of 1940, two years before the M42 even existed! So many different aspects to hold in your mind whilst hunting for genuine helmets or sniffing out fakes. I guess it all comes with experience. Hopefully I'm on the right track? Bit more research to do yet though! Thanks Ade. I'm so glad I found this forum!

That roughed-up liner is very odd to me with only 7 tabs, but it also seems
    like a very small lid !

It will be interesting to see how it does on E-bay. Bidding is almost finished,
    and bids are over $100.00 !

Regards, Steve.
    Last edited by Walkwolf; 04-17-2010 at 07:58 AM.

?

Eight or nine fingers usually on helmet liners, as Ade says chin strap fake, look at the decal closely you will see that parts of the decal is in the heavy pitted areas but if the helmet is rusted to that extent the decal would have been destroyed in those areas it is hard to sit there and gouge out the decal around the pitting. But its all a learning process and your doing well, dont forget even the experts learn something new every day, it would be a very rare if not impossible to see a double decal m42.

This whole helmet is an illusion , you are on the right track and keep it up as it's the only way too learn.

I still laugh when I read my old topics on the forums.

$ 122.50 US - with 9.5 hours to go..............................

Regards, Steve.

Thanks for the encouraging words everyone. Its a shame there are so many damn fakers out there.

FYI, with 29 bidders, it's final sale price was $183.68 US !
    ( plus $34.00 US for postage ! )

Regards, Steve.

Hi WWolf, Its amazing that people will buy this sort of thing for that money!Even when all the resources are out there to find out if its genuine or not.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast