Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Are these helmets good?

Article about: I can do it again. I can buy a helmet. I'd love to have a nice SD helmet, and I think I've found one. Just need an opinion. I also found a weird Chicken Wire helmet from the same Dealer, Oak

Default Are these helmets good?

I can do it again. I can buy a helmet. I'd love to have a nice SD helmet, and I think I've found one. Just need an opinion. I also found a weird Chicken Wire helmet from the same Dealer, Oak Leaf Militaria. I've read before that his site is a mixed bag of good and bad, and that's why I want to ask first.

Are these helmets good?Are these helmets good?Are these helmets good?Are these helmets good?

Before you chew my ear off, yes, I know the chicken wire is a post war add-on. But what about under the wire? Under the wire appears to be a nice honest M42 ND, at least in my opinion.

Are these helmets good?Are these helmets good?Are these helmets good?

To me this looks like an Okay M42 SD, but I have no experience in decals so I can't be sure.

I will email him for better photos of the decals and helmets. I was kind of hoping to trade my two STG44 Mags, and MP44 Mag for one of them. Do y'all want any mags?

Anyways, thank you very much for inspecting!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Are these helmets good?
    P
    Many

I highly doubt the wire on the hkp is period, but should be a decent ND M42.
    As for the SD Heer ( I'm guessing it might be an NS ) the chinstrap is a post war Norwegian one by the looks of it and the liner appears messed with (leaf springs not where they should be, just look at the side of the helmet opposite of where the chinstrap buckle is)
    Can't say much about the decal from these suboptimal photos.

Also both helmets may have been treated with some oil or something as they look rather shiny, almost grimey.

Luis

I dont trust any wire helmets, and that one looks almost brand new, no signs of age, nothing i would consider, but maybe others will prove me wrong.

The second one looks fine at first glance, liner seems original but not much used, what makes me question it are the fingerprints on the paint, never saw that on an original helmet. I would wait for more Opinions.

Well... he did actually say that the wire was post war!

Quote by HARRY THE MOLE View Post
    Well... he did actually say that the wire was post war!
    Yeah, seems I missed that between the images.

MAP
    ?

This doesn't look like an SE decal but again, photos are sub optimal.

Leather liner stamp indicates it is from Werner Zahn.

Maybe glare but looks like there is a thin coat of lacquer on the helmet.
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Michael - it is two different helmets (quite confusing - would have been better as two separate posts).

The first helmet - the wire is like you say post war added - so why bother with something that has been messed with?
    The second helmet - i also think the strap and liner has been treated - so for me one to avoid too.

nick

MAP
    ?

Quote by HoundsTooth View Post
    Michael - it is two different helmets (quite confusing - would have been better as two separate posts).

The first helmet - the wire is like you say post war added - so why bother with something that has been messed with?
    The second helmet - i also think the strap and liner has been treated - so for me one to avoid too.

nick
    Doh. Homer moment.

Rusty: ALWAYS post your helmets in Separate threads.
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Quote by MAP View Post
    Doh. Homer moment.

Rusty: ALWAYS post your helmets in Separate threads.
    I'm sorry, I should have thought of that.

- - ------- - -

Quote by HoundsTooth View Post

nick
    The reason I like the chicken wire helmet is, I'm a very patient individual, and I'm sure I can slowly take it off without damaging the paint.

Are these helmets good?

One thing I have to ask is, does it matter if it's shiny? I do not mean this in a disrespectful way, I just want to learn. My helmet that I have has a sheen or shine to it under certain lighting.

I personally do not care if a liner or chinstrap has been treated to PRESERVE. Now if it had been treated to look authentic, but is not, that's a different story. But for preservation, I have no problem with it.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast