Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thoughts on M42 Single Decal Heer Helmet

Article about: Hello. I just recently purchased this M42 German helmet. It is still in transit and hence the pictures are the ones from the seller. Please let me know what you think. Thank you. Regards, Th

Default Thoughts on M42 Single Decal Heer Helmet

Hello. I just recently purchased this M42 German helmet. It is still in transit and hence the pictures are the ones from the seller. Please let me know what you think. Thank you.
    Regards,
    Thomas
    Thoughts on M42 Single Decal Heer HelmetThoughts on M42 Single Decal Heer HelmetThoughts on M42 Single Decal Heer HelmetThoughts on M42 Single Decal Heer HelmetThoughts on M42 Single Decal Heer HelmetThoughts on M42 Single Decal Heer Helmet

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Thoughts on M42 Single Decal Heer Helmet
    P
    Many

Hello I also have an M42 so I might be able to help. Others on this forum are really good at spotting a fake decal so take this opinion on the decal with a grain of salt. I'd say it looks good, since it matches with the overall wear of the helmet. For the chinstrap your going to have to post the markings and buckles on it for anyone to give you a definite answer about its authenticity. The liner seems a little weird to me, it doesn't have the original string which would loop through all the fingers. Though my main concern is the color, as it looks more white than tan. This could just be due the lighting of the picture but it still seems weird to me. The shell looks good but pictures of the markings would be great. Over all I think the outside is fine but the inside is a little sketchy. When you get the helmet post clear pictures of the markings on the shell, chinstrap, and liner it would help in determining the authenticity on it.

Lot number, factory code required; and if you can get a clearer/sharper photo upon arrival of the decal in better light would help the pros in their determination. With that said, its always advised to seek opinions here before purchase; that way you can buy with confidence!

I agree that the liner and drawstring look a little unusual - I'd be interested in hearing other views on this. The manufacturer and lot number are critical too as Matt has indicated.
    Nick

It's stamped ET68...(I think). The ET font looks odd, Liner looks replaced post war
    D
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Thoughts on M42 Single Decal Heer Helmet  

Thanks to everyone for replying. The liner did seem a bit off since it looks like it hasn't had a hard life like the outside of the helmet. Other than that it seemed ok. Basically all I know is that it is a large helmet with a size 61 liner. Definitely will have to look at the chin straps and the helmet codes. I will post them as soon as I receive the helmet. The person which I bought it from seems legitimate. He is well respected in the local German militaria community and dealt with German militaria for many years and the helmet is from his warehouse in Germany. Hopefully it all checks out. I do feel a bit silly for not getting other opinions about this helmet, but it was a decision that had to be made quickly. Lesson learned from now to check with this excellent forum before I purchase anything. Thank you once again to everyone.

Thomas

I enhanced the decal best I could. It appears to be a correct ET type decal. The helmet looks like it maybe some type of camo or overpaint by brush due to the bottom area of the decal showing paint on it. Or maybe dried mud or dirt ? Hard to say.
    The liner looks replaced due to the rusting inside the shell but no breakdown or rusting/patina on the liner band itself. From the little I can see, the chinstrap looks original.
    But better pics needed to confirm any of this
    D
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Thoughts on M42 Single Decal Heer Helmet  

The liner or at least the leather has been placed post war. The inside rivet legs and the paint on the rivets may offer a clue if the liner band was out.

Either that or the 'newer' leather was spun into the existing band.
    Never make quick decisions or be pushed into making quick decisions on a German helmet unless it is ultra rare and you know what you are buying. Patience is key to find the best helmet for your collection , especially if you are starting out you will have more than enough to choose from.

If it was me I would send this example back to the dealer and look for an untouched one.

Thank you ever so much for going through all that trouble of enhancing the picture and for spotting all of these details. I spoke to the person that I bought it from. He said its all original. He attributed the liner color due to the different types of leather that they used during the war. He said that once I receive it, I should fold the leather inside out to see the leather stamps. He also said that if I dismantled the whole liner (which he doesn't recommend), I would see all of the markings. As soon as I have it in my hands, all the photos will be posted here immediately. Thanks once again for your help. You are awesome

No need to take anything apart. The liner band is original. The color of the leather is not the issue.
    The helmet is IMO..."unbalanced" which means the internal & external parts don't match as far as wear & overall look. This helmet is a "one look problem".
    Take some good pics when you get it & post here. Rivet split pins & washers & pics of where the liner band meets the shell. Might be able to determine just by that. There are also green colored metal bands inside the liner frame. Those need to be spun to install new leather into the old band. Those should not be scratched or scraped... no fingerprints or worn patina, well I could go on but these are things that are difficult to photograph. Maybe just the pins & washers will be enough
    D.

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast