Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here

Two M40s up for review

Article about: Hallo Kameraden! Today I have two helmets up for review that are within my price range, have just been put up for sale, and look good in my opinion. Unfortunately, I can only afford one. The

Default Two M40s up for review

Hallo Kameraden! Today I have two helmets up for review that are within my price range, have just been put up for sale, and look good in my opinion. Unfortunately, I can only afford one.

Two M40s up for reviewTwo M40s up for reviewTwo M40s up for reviewTwo M40s up for reviewTwo M40s up for review

The first is a SD Q60 Luftwaffe M40, without the liner, or liner band. All of the original paint seems to be there, and the split pins are there as well. The split pins seem good to me, and when I blew up the pics of the decal really big on my monitor, I saw no signs of digital printing. I do want a second/third/multiple opinions on it though. It is Q60 size, which to me makes it special probably because it was worn by a kid serving in a flak battery. Who knows.

One thing I did think was strange, was the lot number - DN127. I haven't really heard of any DN stamps before. Maybe that's just me being a novice.

Two M40s up for reviewTwo M40s up for reviewTwo M40s up for reviewTwo M40s up for review
    Two M40s up for review

This next one is... well kinda salty. It is size Q66 with a S3428 lot number. Everything looks good to me except for the liner. The liner just looks "too good" for this helmet. Not really sure. At any rate, it's a nice display piece.

I do have this fellows phone number, ready to go so I don't lose one of them like my KM helmet.

Thanks guys!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Two M40s up for review
    P
    Many

The DN Lotn. is nothing unusual, as the helmet is a Quist, which had these kinda Lotn. Eagle looks like a good one to me, but i would wait for more opinions.
    Personally - i think the price is too hight for a helmet without liner, you can surely get a better example for a few hundred dollar more.

Regarding the second one i would agree that the liner looks too fresh, but to confirm i would ask for split pin pics. The whole inside looks way more minty and almost factory new, compared to the outside - so it might be because of the way it was stored.

?

First helmet is a good Quist with a known Quist lot number. The liner rivets appear to be replacements, as they look like they have never been bent before. if you plan to restore it, Keep in mind that size 60 liners are very hard to find. Especially hard in a condition that would match the helmet.
    Second helmet has a reproduction liner and chinstrap installed. The liner rivet head shape looks odd as well. Probably reproduction. There is not much paint left on that shell, collectability in my opinion is low.

PG-

Quote by Adravor View Post
    The DN Lotn. is nothing unusual, as the helmet is a Quist, which had these kinda Lotn. Eagle looks like a good one to me, but i would wait for more opinions.
    Personally - i think the price is too hight for a helmet without liner, you can surely get a better example for a few hundred dollar more.

Regarding the second one i would agree that the liner looks too fresh, but to confirm i would ask for split pin pics. The whole inside looks way more minty and almost factory new, compared to the outside - so it might be because of the way it was stored.
    zoomed in on the outside of the shell at the split pins, I do see some texture on them. As for the inside, I'm not sure. They seem a bit "thick". I'm going to message him, ask some questions, and in the end I might try and make a lower offer. What do you think I should ask for?

Here is my Quist M40 to compare:

Two M40s up for review

The decal on yours is OK, but the helmet has to be significantly reduced due to the lack of liner.

The second helmet - IMO that is not the original liner. Not for me.

nick